Need to treat for Hookworm but confused... please help.

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
Hi! Just spent the better part of an hour searching for a clear method of getting rid of hookworm and I'm on information overload!
barnie.gif

My dog was diagnosed with Hookworm a month ago and she is a huge chicken poo eater. We never had an issue before we got the chicks so I am assuming they are the cause. I didn't see any signs so I kind of put off treatment since I only have 6 and a $60 bottle of Valbazen seemed kind of crazy for a hunch. One of my girls has been looking pale and I am thinking that maybe she is anemic from the worms? I would like to treat them but dont have quick access (or quite frankly the cash) to treat with Valbazen right now. I just bought Wazine but I dont think it will help with Hookworms. I can get the Albendazole paste used for horses but I'm not sure if that would work or dosage. I also have Red Cell, would this be a good idea to give them so I could boost up their iron levels to combat the bloodsuckers?

Kinda a newbie here and I would love any advice I could get on how to get rid of these things before my ladies get really sick.
fl.gif

thank you SO much!

I have always read that intestinal parasites are species specific in dogs and chickens. However I haven't actually researched it so can't say for sure. That said...you can use Safeguard horse paste (fenbendazole) in both chickens and dogs. The dog 'version' is called Panacur but it's the same identical wormer. A big chicken gets about an inch long ribbon of the paste, a dog gets 1 cc per 25 lbs for 3 days in a row. Then it will need repeated the following 2 months. If you don't feel safe dosing your dog with advice you got from the internet then I urge you to go to your vet and get the dog on some sort of monthly preventative that prevents heartworms along with intestinal parasites.

Thank you SO much for your reply, it is much appreciated! I should have mentioned my dog has already been treated by our vet for the hookworm so she is fine. As far as treating chickens with the paste, I just put it in their mouth? Is it a one time treatment for them or is it the same as the dog? What about bantams? Thank you so much for your help! :)

Thank you SO much for your reply, it is much appreciated! I should have mentioned my dog has already been treated by our vet for the hookworm so she is fine. As far as treating chickens with the paste, I just put it in their mouth? Is it a one time treatment for them or is it the same as the dog? What about bantams? Thank you so much for your help! :)
The safeguard equine paste dosage for chickens is a "pea" size amount to each chicken, a small "pea" size amount for bantams. Give it orally to each chicken. Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open and put it in and release the bird...good to go. Repeat the procedure again in 7-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom