Need to Tube Severely Molting Hen

Pics
I got one, Peadawg, he loves being tube fed! I guess maybe that's because when I got him at 3 days of age with curled feet and spray legs, he could not walk, so he couldn't eat. Had to tube him for two weeks, and ever since then, he gets excited when he sees the tube.
Oh my gosh, that’s cute! Ester was walking toward me at sight of the tube, but now turns the other way.

So this is cute. Sunday she had a little outside time. The flock was being a bunch of jerks and would not let her dustbathe. She eventually had enough, walked right up to me, looked me in the eye, and squatted. I think she had had enough! I brought her back inside for some heat.

This little sweetheart gave me the most adorable excited greeting when I walked in the door! She was locked in her crate, since she’s cruising (and pooping) around now if I let her stay out. I let her out to stretch her wings and for her feeding. Look at this little sweetheart! I have to head back down the hill to finish my workday, so she’ll have to go back in. But isn’t she looking great?! I had turned off both the heat lamp and a little area heater, but I noticed her feet were on the cool side, so heating the space back up a bit. I don’t want to go too warm, as at some point she’ll have to transition back outside.

Last edited:
This little sweetheart gave me the most adorable excited greeting when I walked in the door! She was locked in her crate, since she’s cruising (and pooping) around now if I let her stay out. I let her out to stretch her wings and for her feeding. Look at this little sweetheart! I have to head back to Hill to finish my workday, so she’ll have to go back in. But isn’t she looking great?! I had turned off both the heat lamp and a little area heater, but I noticed her feet were on the cool side, some hitting them space back up a bit. I don’t want to go too warm, as at some point she’ll have to transition back outside.

She looks and sounds FANTASTIC!

I know nothing about tube feeding, so if this is a dumb question, let me know. If you stopped tube feeding her, would she just start eating and drinking on her own? My thinking is, if you keep providing the food, then she doesn't feel hungry or thirsty enough to eat and drink on her own. Again, just wondering. She is doing great!

I know nothing about tube feeding, so if this is a dumb question, let me know. If you stopped tube feeding her, would she just start eating and drinking on her own? My thinking is, if you keep providing the food, then she doesn't feel hungry or thirsty enough to eat and drink on her own. Again, just wondering. She is doing great!
Not unless she's already eating and drinking between feedings. Sometimes even if they're eating and drinking, it's not enough when they've been sick and lost weight. Tubing can be used as an "extra calories" sort of thing too.

Back
Top Bottom