Need to Tube Severely Molting Hen

Pics
Oh my gosh, I just had an idea!!! Sometimes in the summer, I offer frozen berries in a shallow dish of water. The flock loves it!

Well, I have also recently learned that Ester likes fresh blueberries. Soooo... I just dropped a couple into her waterer and she took some sips going after the blueberries! Yay! I have to be careful not to give too many blueberries, as I don’t want it to give her the runs, but this is progress!!!

Last edited:
My little patient was so cooperative when I greeted her this morning, I didn’t need to wrap her like a burrito. Here is her weight!
2818695A-F094-4364-BA7B-24D660377B9C.jpeg

This is a gain since this journey started. :)

Last edited:
BTW, I love the burrito weigh method! Throwing binder clips in my bag!
Poor Ester - she is going to pig out on food just to avoid being turned into a burrito! :lau
My little patient was so cooperative when I cgreeted her this morning, I didn’t need to wrap her like a burrito. Here is her weight!
View attachment 2486038

This is a gain since this journey started. :)
That is so exciting! And it looked like she was getting some more feathers - but maybe that was wishful thinking on my part!

Well... weight is good, but Ester is VERY combative this morning and not cooperating with tubing. I have tried a few times and got very little in her. How can I restrain her without squishing her crop? Honestly, if she is this strong and will eat sprouts, corn, blueberries, sunflower seeds and a little feed on her own, it might be time to get her back out with her flock soon. I don’t want to risk aspiration and don’t want to overly stress her out.

Well... weight is good, but Ester is VERY combative this morning and not cooperating with tubing. I have tried a few times and got very little in her. How can I restrain her without squishing her crop? Honestly, if she is this strong and will eat sprouts, corn, blueberries, sunflower seeds and a little feed on her own, it might be time to get her back out with her flock soon. I don’t want to risk aspiration and don’t want to overly stress her out.
Maybe give her a break and see if that triggers her to start eating and drinking more on her own.

Back
Top Bottom