Need to Tube Severely Molting Hen

I just read through most of this thread.

Girl, you have had a go of it with your flock this past year. I'm glad Ester is improving. I hope she gets to eating and drinking on her own so she can rejoin the flock.

And I FEEL your pain about MEETINGS. Good gravy....
Hi, @Aunt Angus ! Yes. some tough times, but no deaths in 2020! I hope that means my husbandry is improving. 2019 was the tough year where I lost both Margo and Bagheera. But you are right. In 2020 I had Dorothy’s shell making issue, Ruby’s ongoing need for hormones, Lucky’s broken (soft) egg in the oviduct and Roxy’s bleeding intestinal issue! I think Roxy’s issue may have been feed related, I’m never venturing off this feed again.
2020 was also the year we were at risk of evacuation due to fire. We did not have to evacuate, but now I have three of those crates you see in Eater’s videos.

Last edited:
Hi, friends. So I think Ester’s care is complete. This morning, she was screaming her head off to go outside. I let her out as soon as I got up, even though it was still cool, but not cold, outside. I did tube some fluids first, but not feed. I think we are at the point that the risk outweighs the benefit, since she is eating. She’s been running around foraging all day. I still have not seen her drink, but she was by far the most active bird in the flock today. LOL!

I’m so bummed, because I thought I was taking a video, but I blew it and accidentally just took one still at the start and went still at the end. I just watched Ester gobble down a snake. That’s good protein!
Here’s before and after the snake consumption.
38EEC257-CE62-472E-9045-153692396A77.jpeg

2AABA26E-7D31-4FAB-A4F8-D8F3516A44F4.jpeg

I am going to let her sleep in the coop tonight, since we have another pretty mild night coming, with a nice warm day tomorrow. Since it’s MLK day, I’ll be home and can monitor her and bring her back in if she looks like she isn’t thriving.

I’m a little concerned about two of her flock mates… And if either or both of those pan out to be something bad, I’ll post on them separately. I have never dealt with a respiratory illness, and I’m concerned Buttercup might have one. Lucky laid a few eggs after molt, and then stopped. Her head is molting, so I’ve been hoping that’s all that’s going on. I’m on high alert watching for a laying disorder with her.

Last edited:
Hi, friends. So I think Ester’s care is complete. This morning, she was screaming her head off to go outside. I let her out as soon as I got up, even though it was still cool, but not cold, outside. I did tube some fluids first, but not feed. I think we are at the point that the risk outweighs the benefit, since she is eating. She’s been running around foraging all day. I still have not seen her drink, but she was by far the most active bird in the flock today. LOL!

I’m so bummed, because I thought I was taking a video, but I blew it and accidentally just took one still at the start and went still at the end. I just watched Ester gobble down a snake. That’s good protein!
View attachment 2493400
View attachment 2493412

I am going to let her sleep in the coop tonight, since we have another pretty mild night coming, another with a nice warm day tomorrow. Since it’s MLK day, I’ll be home and can monitor her and bring her back in if she looks like she isn’t thriving.

I’m a little concerned about two of her flock mates… And if either or both of those pan out to be something bad, I’ll post on them separately. I have never dealt with a respiratory illness, and I’m concerned Buttercup might have one. Lucky laid a few eggs after molt, and then stopped. Her head is molting, so I’ve been hoping that’s all that’s going on. I’m on high alert watching for a laying disorder with her.
I hope Buttercup and Lucky are just molting. I find that after I nurse a sick bird, I tend to be hypervigilant for a bit. I may even describe myself as paranoid. I'm not saying that's the case here, but It'd be better than the alternative...

I'm so happy to see Ester outside again, and gobbling up snakes no less! She looks 1000% better. Go back to earlier posts and you can really see the positive change.

Well done! I hope I can be as courageous when I'm faced with a similar situation!!!
Virtual high five!

I hope Buttercup and Lucky are just molting. I find that after I nurse a sick bird, I tend to be hypervigilant for a bit. I may even describe myself as paranoid. I'm not saying that's the case here, but It'd be better than the alternative...

I'm so happy to see Ester outside again, and gobbling up snakes no less! She looks 1000% better. Go back to earlier posts and you can really see the positive change.

Well done! I hope I can be as courageous when I'm faced with a similar situation!!!
Virtual high five!
Thanks. Lucky had a HUGE crop at bedtime, so I’ll check it in the morning. Buttercup feels thin in the chest and large in the abdomen, which is never a good combination. Not freaking out yet, but they will be monitored closely.

View attachment 2493400
View attachment 2493412

I am going to let her sleep in the coop tonight, since we have another pretty mild night coming, another with a nice warm day tomorrow. Since it’s MLK day, I’ll be home and can monitor her and bring her back in if she looks like she isn’t thriving.

Such good news about Ester. Fingers crossed on Buttercup and Lucky!

Virtual high five!
I forgot to say that I am definitely paranoid! :)

Back
Top Bottom