Need to Tube Severely Molting Hen

Ester was last to roost tonight. I let her decide whether to go into the coop or not (though maybe she was waiting for me to take her in?) She ended up in the main/lower level of the coop. It’s about 5x5 and tall enough for me to stand in. The roosts are about chest high on me with no drafts. It actually felt pretty comfortable, and eight girls were in there, so hopefully that provides good body heat. The other 5 were “upstairs.”

Apparently I’ve really grown attached. When she walked into the coop, I almost shed a tear like sending a kid off for their first day of school! 🤣 What is wrong with me?!?!

Ester had a nice full crop, which she filled all by herself. ❤️

Last edited:
That’s a Wrap!

I just wanted to share that Ester is fine!

• Slept Outside (in coop): We lucked out and had a warm night last night. This unseasonal warm spell will end soon and I expect the next two nights to drop by about ten degrees each night. Was that lucky or what?
  • Drank on Her Own: I saw Ester drink heartily from the waterer this morning.
  • Ate Regular Feed: In addition to eating damp crumble, a snake, dry leaves (she loves walnut leaves :rolleyes:), wild sprouts and whatever else Ester found yesterday, I saw her eat dry pellet this morning.
  • Fully Integrated: There are no reintegration issues whatsoever. A couple who outrank her are still being a bit overbearing, but I suspect they have always done that. Next year I will support Ester better when she starts to molt. (I gave beef liver this year, but it was not enough to keep her from crashing.)
  • Feathering: While most of Ester’s feathers are still pretty short, she’s fully covered and is doing lots of bathing and preening to get the most out of what she has.
  • Active: Ester was on the go ALL DAY yesterday. Again, I suspect this is her normal, which could explain why she is lean and thin in general. She’s actually being pretty mean to poor Flo (pullet).
I wanted to thank my BYC friends again for all your support, both moral and technical. You were a huge part of getting us through this.

To those who are afraid to tube, it is easier than you think. My fear was in the possibility of aspiration. You could practice with an empty tube on a healthy, docile bird. Feeling for the tube in the crop is a sure way to know you are in a safe place to put fluid or feed. I recommend starting with a small volume your first time.

Do your best to remain calm. I was trembling so bad the first time I was so scared! Then I laughed at myself. I do believe they sense our mental/emotional state. If you can remain calm, reassuring and nurturing, I think it helps. You may be amazed how much you will bond with your little patient. ❤

Yay for Ester and for you!!! Great job!
tenor.gif

That’s a Wrap!

I just wanted to share that Ester is fine!

• Slept Outside (in coop): We lucked out and had a warm night last night. This unseasonal warm spell will end soon and I expect the next two nights to drop by about ten degrees each night. Was that lucky or what?
  • Drank on Her Own: I saw Ester drink heartily from the waterer this morning.
  • Ate Regular Feed: In addition to eating damp crumble, a snake, dry leaves (she loves walnut leaves :rolleyes:), wild sprouts and whatever else Ester found yesterday, I saw her eat dry pellet this morning.
  • Fully Integrated: There are no reintegration issues whatsoever. A couple who outrank her are still being a bit overbearing, but I suspect they have always done that. Next year I will support Ester better when she starts to molt. (I gave beef liver this year, but it was not enough to keep her from crashing.)
  • Feathering: While most of Ester’s feathers are still pretty short, she’s fully covered and is doing lots of bathing and preening to get the most out of what she has.
  • Active: Ester was on the go ALL DAY yesterday. Again, I suspect this is her normal, which could explain why she is lean and thin in general. She’s actually being pretty mean to poor Flo (pullet).
I wanted to thank my BYC friends again for all your support, both moral and technical. You were a huge part of getting us through this.

To those who are afraid to tube, it is easier than you think. My fear was in the possibility of aspiration. You could practice with an empty tube on a healthy, docile bird. Feeling for the tube in the crop is a sure way to know you are in a safe place to put fluid or feed. I recommend starting with a small volume your first time.

Do your best to remain calm. I was trembling so bad the first time I was so scared! Then I laughed at myself. I do believe they sense our mental/emotional state. If you can remain calm, reassuring and nurturing, I think it helps. You may be amazed how much you will bond with your little patient. ❤
Well done. You were amazing and I am so happy she is back normal. :wee
How are the others doing?

Well done. You were amazing and I am so happy she is back normal. :wee
How are the others doing?
Thanks!
Lucky’s crop was empty and behavior is normal so far today. She might be coming back into lay after molt. Buttercup is still pale and breathing a bit heavy, but her behavior is mostly normal, too. She never came back into lay after molt, which seemed to linger on forever. She’s supposed to be a winter layer, so this is a concern. Both are still eating well. I think tomorrow I’ll make some mash with aloe detox. Yesterday I noticed some sort of oats or something sprinkled around my neighbor’s yard, so I’m not letting the birds go over there today. I have made a huge effort to slim them down after learning they were fat and need to know what they are eating.

It’s breezy, so they’re hanging out in the coop, which makes it hard to monitor behavior and body language. It’s not really meant for extended hanging out time with all of them in there at only 25 sq ft in the main area, 15 sq ft “upstairs” and 15 sq ft in the wired-in sunroom (Where I have also put up plastic today).

Today I need to replace the tarp over the run, since the wind will likely shred it since it’s broken doen due to the elements. I may also put up a couple side tarps. A full-on wind storm with 80mph gusts is expected lster thid afternoon. The strongest gusts will probably be at higher elevation, but we’ll definitely see something here. My girls are afraid of wind. Poor things.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Lucky’s crop was empty and behavior is normal so far today. She might be coming back into lay after molt. Buttercup is still pale and breathing a bit heavy, but her behavior is mostly normal, too. She never came back into lay after molt, which seemed to linger on forever. She’s supposed to be a winter layer, so this is a concern. Both are still eating well. I think tomorrow I’ll make some mash with aloe detox. Yesterday I noticed some sort of oats or something sprinkled around my neighbor’s yard, so I’m not letting the birds go over there today. I have made a huge effort to slim them down after learning they were fat and need to know what they are eating.

It’s breezy, so they’re hanging out in the coop, which makes it hard to monitor behavior and body language. It’s not really meant for extended hanging out time with all of them in there at only 25 sq ft in the main area, 15 sq ft “upstairs” and 15 sq ft in the wired-in sunroom (Where I have also put up plastic today).

Today I need to replace the tarp over the run, since the wind will likely shred it since it’s broken doen due to the elements. I may also put up a couple side tarps. A full-on eind storm with 80mph gusts is expected lster thid afternoon. The strongest gusts will probably be at higher elevation, but we’ll definitely see something here. My girls are afraid of wind. Poor things.
We are bracing for it, too. Charging batteries, placing flashlights in strategic locations, battening down the hatches! If the wind doesn't knock out the power, PG&E will...

Back
Top Bottom