Need to Tube Severely Molting Hen

That’s a Wrap!

I just wanted to share that Ester is fine!

• Slept Outside (in coop): We lucked out and had a warm night last night. This unseasonal warm spell will end soon and I expect the next two nights to drop by about ten degrees each night. Was that lucky or what?
  • Drank on Her Own: I saw Ester drink heartily from the waterer this morning.
  • Ate Regular Feed: In addition to eating damp crumble, a snake, dry leaves (she loves walnut leaves :rolleyes:), wild sprouts and whatever else Ester found yesterday, I saw her eat dry pellet this morning.
  • Fully Integrated: There are no reintegration issues whatsoever. A couple who outrank her are still being a bit overbearing, but I suspect they have always done that. Next year I will support Ester better when she starts to molt. (I gave beef liver this year, but it was not enough to keep her from crashing.)
  • Feathering: While most of Ester’s feathers are still pretty short, she’s fully covered and is doing lots of bathing and preening to get the most out of what she has.
  • Active: Ester was on the go ALL DAY yesterday. Again, I suspect this is her normal, which could explain why she is lean and thin in general. She’s actually being pretty mean to poor Flo (pullet).
I wanted to thank my BYC friends again for all your support, both moral and technical. You were a huge part of getting us through this.

To those who are afraid to tube, it is easier than you think. My fear was in the possibility of aspiration. You could practice with an empty tube on a healthy, docile bird. Feeling for the tube in the crop is a sure way to know you are in a safe place to put fluid or feed. I recommend starting with a small volume your first time.

Do your best to remain calm. I was trembling so bad the first time I was so scared! Then I laughed at myself. I do believe they sense our mental/emotional state. If you can remain calm, reassuring and nurturing, I think it helps. You may be amazed how much you will bond with your little patient. ❤
Such a heartening update ! Thanks for posting Michelle. It's so good to see Ester going about her chickeny business. Congratulations to you both. 🥂 🥰

@micstrachan, congrats on getting your thread featured this week!
1611157464000.png

Back
Top Bottom