Need turkey stuffing recipe

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
So every year I make the same old sage and cranberry turkey stuffing. My husband has been away for several weeks working out of town and his favorite time of year is Thanksgiving (Canada) Wondering if you might share your favorite turkey stuffing and give me something different to try. :)

~Ema~

Apple Sage Stuffing
Ingredients

1 pound ground pork sausage with sage
8 ounces trinity mix (fresh diced onions, peppers, celery)
1/2 cup dried berry medley (berries and raisins)
1 large Granny Smith apple (rinsed)
1 tablespoon flour
1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (6-ounce) box cornbread stuffing mix
cooking spray

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Crumble sausage into pan (wash hands); stir in trinity mix and berries. Cook 5–7 minutes, stirring often, until meat is well browned and vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, peel apple; cut into small pieces.
2. Stir flour into sausage mixture and cook 2 minutes, stirring often, until flour is hot and well blended into mixture.
3. Stir in apple, broth, and stuffing mix until well blended. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; add stuffing mixture. Bake 20–25 minutes or until golden and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Prep and Cook: 40 minutes (Makes 8 servings.)

it was excellent last year- however- I used a honeycrisp apple
smile.png
bigger
smile.png

Quote:
this sounds amazing....I might make more than one stuffing recipe and see what he likes best :) thank you for sharing
thumbsup.gif

I am not a big Paula Dean Fan but this is a pretty darn good recipe. I cant find self-rising cornmeal, so I use the recipe on my box of corn meal. The one that is not sweet. Making your own corn bread is so much better than boxed suffing mix.

Southern Cornbread Stuffing
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time: 30 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min Level:
Easy Serves:
6 to 8 servings Ingredients
Cornbread, recipe follows
7 slices oven-dried white bread
1 sleeve saltine crackers
8 tablespoons butter
2 cups celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
7 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sage (optional)
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (optional)
5 eggs, beaten
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices, and saltines; set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Reserve 2 heaping tablespoons of this mixture for the giblet gravy. Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Serve with turkey as a side dish.

Cornbread:
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

To serve, cut into desired squares and serve with butter.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

I use apple juice in the roaster pan it gives it a nice moist flavor. I also flip the bird upside down, so the breast is on the bottom, it cooks better and the breast's are always moist.

Quote:
If you want something really really different, try my oyster stuffing.

http://www.hizzoners.com/southern-comforts/cajun-a-creole/154-oyster-dressing

hubby can't...well won't eat Oysters, frankly he won't eat anything that comes from the sea except for fish we catch...I grew p in Spain, there is no seafood I wouldn't gobble up. I am intrigued by this, and I might just make it for JUST myself..well and my 7yr old cause my daughter has good taste ahahahaha

EDITED TO SAY::::: I just looked at the recipe and read the recipe, I AM going to make this for myself and my daughter and one of the others for hubby, but haven't decided yet as to which one.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you want something really really different, try my oyster stuffing.

http://www.hizzoners.com/southern-comforts/cajun-a-creole/154-oyster-dressing

hubby can't...well won't eat Oysters, frankly he won't eat anything that comes from the sea except for fish we catch...I grew p in Spain, there is no seafood I wouldn't gobble up. I am intrigued by this, and I might just make it for JUST myself..well and my 7yr old cause my daughter has good taste ahahahaha

EDITED TO SAY::::: I just looked at the recipe and read the recipe, I AM going to make this for myself and my daughter and one of the others for hubby, but haven't decided yet as to which one.

Do let me know how it came out for you!!!

LOL..I was just coming on here to tell you all how it went. I made the Oyster stuffing meant only for me and my kids who like Oysters. I changed a couple things in the recipe.

when I made the turkey I took one of the suggestions of adding apple juice to the roasting pan while the turkey cooked. the turkey came out super moist and delicious.

once I took the turkey out I took enough of the turkey/apple stock out of the pan and used it for the Oyster stuffing recipe instead of the turkey stock and butter. I also added a diced apple to keep up with the theme lol..

I did not add cayenne cause my kids don't like it but also added garlic salt. the end result actually was delicious, and even my husband ate it and had seconds. so thank you for the recipe cause it was Excellent I will make this again come XMAS

I saw your post to late to help, but looks like you got a lot. Just wanted to wish you a "Happy Thanksgiving". Although I am in the U.S. we have lots of extended family in southern N.B. celebrating today also.

Back
Top Bottom