need urgent advice Chicken not standing

chick56

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
my cockerel is 6 months old today when i saw his brooder he was sitting i thought he is just sitting but when i forced him to come out he was not even standing so i hold him i noticed that he was wet so i thought he may be freezing so i warmed him a little by warming a piece of cloth but he still not standing............need urgent advice plz HELP he is my most loving one i dont want to lose him

As advised keep him warm and dry, and offer him some scrambled egg and water (electrolytes, pedialyte, or gatorade would be good.) Adding water to his feed to make a mush is usually appealing. Look at his stools for anything unusual, such as diarrhea or blood. Check to see if he can stand by holding him up, and look for weakness in one or both legs. He could be cold, or possibly have coccidiosis, or may have problems with his legs. Check him at some point for lice and mites. Has he been wormed recently/

It's been my experience that the ideal temp for a sick chicken is 80-85 degrees. If you can't get your room that warm you could try heating pads on low or warm water bottles under towels. Sometimes to warm mine up I take used soda bottles and fill them with hot water and place them under a sleeping bag and then I put the sick chicken in the sleeping bag and cover everything but it's head. The sleeping bag retains heat better than towels or blankets, to that's why I use it.

Once he's good and warm, give him a thorough exam and offer him room temp water. If you can, take some pictures of his poop.

-Kathy

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
"Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds."

As advised keep him warm and dry, and offer him some scrambled egg and water (electrolytes, pedialyte, or gatorade would be good.) Adding water to his feed to make a mush is usually appealing. Look at his stools for anything unusual, such as diarrhea or blood. Check to see if he can stand by holding him up, and look for weakness in one or both legs. He could be cold, or possibly have coccidiosis, or may have problems with his legs. Check him at some point for lice and mites. Has he been wormed recently/
his stool is looking normal and i have checked for lice and mites and did'nt found anything, i tried to hold him and make him stand but he just can't his foots are warm but can't stand

It's been my experience that the ideal temp for a sick chicken is 80-85 degrees. If you can't get your room that warm you could try heating pads on low or warm water bottles under towels. Sometimes to warm mine up I take used soda bottles and fill them with hot water and place them under a sleeping bag and then I put the sick chicken in the sleeping bag and cover everything but it's head. The sleeping bag retains heat better than towels or blankets, to that's why I use it.

Once he's good and warm, give him a thorough exam and offer him room temp water. If you can, take some pictures of his poop.

-Kathy

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
"Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds."
well i was using warm towels but as per advice now i will try to use sleeping bags thank u

Back
Top Bottom