Need urgent help!

Aug 28, 2020
One of my Spanish black heritage turkeys has alarming wounds all over the back of the head. They seemed to have appeared overnight. I'm very concerned about disease, because I have 4 pet turkeys that live in a separate coop. However, this turkey is in a coop with 20 other heritage turkeys who all look fantastic and have no similar symptoms at all. They've been cooped up a lot lately, because of predator concerns. They have a huge, huge coop with plenty of room to move around and high roosts, but they still fight when cooped up. This doesn't look like a beating though and there isn't really a lot of blood anywhere that i can find and no antagonists are still attacking. My last guess is frostbite. It was really cold last night, about 0 degrees Fahrenheit with a cold north wind. There's a lot of breeze in their coop for ventilation purposes, but again, no other turkeys have any problem and I've never had an issue with turkeys being too cold other than frostbite on snoods, etc.. i guess i just really want to rule out disease, but would love some advice on making this bird heal up a bit. These are ultimately meat turkeys, but we take such caution to make sure our birds are happy and I'm a little worried that we fell beneath our standards and that it hurt the bird somehow.
20201230_144121.jpg

Is she low on the pecking order to be pecked? I don't think a disease would suddenly appear in one hen, but I'm not familiar with turkey diseases. Could see have gotten caught on something?

Is she low on the pecking order to be pecked? I don't think a disease would suddenly appear in one hen, but I'm not familiar with turkey diseases. Could see have gotten caught on something?

The turkey pecking order is strange. There will be weeks and weeks of peace followed by a random day of extreme fighting. Heritage breeds are new to me, but there's a group of young toms that sort of "gang up " randomly and suddenly. But this is just a big black scab and i couldn't really see much blood, or any blood on the fresh shavings (it usually stands out). I almost didn't notice because some of the heads of the black turkeys are feathered on and rather dark, which is a gorgeous look. I suppose for that reason it's could be a couple days old. It just doesn't look like a typical battle scar and, if it is, it's unlike my aggressive toms not to keep relentlessly attacking.

Keep her seperated until they heal
He's actually a little tom, and since they hatched in june, as you can imagine from the photo, he's underdeveloped compared to his flock mates. I've definitely seen him be bullied a bit before. It's just so puzzling how we got to dark, crusty scab but i can't find blood and the other toms didn't seem to want to kill him like they normally do when they fight. But he is separated now. In a small brooder, i put a heat lamp to be kind and i was planning on iodine and Neosporin on the scab tonight.

One of my Spanish black heritage turkeys has alarming wounds all over the back of the head. ... this turkey is in a coop with 20 other heritage turkeys ...They've been cooped up a lot lately,..They have a huge, huge coop with plenty of room to move around and high roosts, but they still fight when cooped up. ...

The 19 other heritage turkeys need more coop space and are bored. They are pecking (bullying) the young Tom.

He's actually a little tom, and since they hatched in june, as you can imagine from the photo, he's underdeveloped compared to his flock mates. I've definitely seen him be bullied a bit before. It's just so puzzling how we got to dark, crusty scab but i can't find blood and the other toms didn't seem to want to kill him like they normally do when they fight. But he is separated now. In a small brooder, i put a heat lamp to be kind and i was planning on iodine and Neosporin on the scab tonight.
I recommend COLLOIDAL SILVER!
It will help he scab over without infection.
Also recommend putting coconut oil on it. It will lower the bacteria and protect from infection.
Here are some links
I recommend the colloidal silver spray.
It would be easier to apply.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?que...idal Silver Spray, Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol

https://www.walmart.com/browse/health/coconut-oil/976760_5813114_5887725_4519902
Please keep us updated to see how HE is doing

Back
Top Bottom