Need Washing Machine Advice

charmed one

Show Me State Gal
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Near Truman Lake, Mo
My washer recently shot craps! I have been looking on Craigslist and in the paper. My DH wants me to get a new one. I know I want a top loader. I also know I want the biggest one I can find to wash my comforters and bed spreads. I just found out they come with or without agitators. Any brand suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have never bought a new washer before. I'm scared!
roll.png

I've always bought heavy-duty top-loading Sears machines and have never had a problem with them. Gave one to a friend when I moved; it was 12 years old and ran like brand new. She had been renting a machine and was delighted to get it. DH and I have been married for 40 years, have bought 4 Sears washers and still own two of them (both purchased in the last three years... we have two houses on our property). Gave one away and sold the other with a house. Don't ask me about dryers, though. They're a pain in the rear.

Last edited:
Why a top loader? My latest is a front loader Maytag and I LOVE it. I've had Maytag and Whirlpool and GE, multiples of them all. Much as I hate other Maytag appliances, the two Maytag washers I have had are tops. The first was 18 years old when I purchased it in about '78. Worked like a champ for me, then I was transferred to Europe so it was in storage for a couple of years. After I got back we lived in apts for awhile and ended up buying a new washer--I gave the old Maytag to my brother who used it for I don't know how many years. At least two of the washers I've had came from Sears and were problems from the get go.

I buy Kenmore from Sears as well although they don't make them as well as they used to. I now have a front loader and hate it. My daughter bought a top loader without the agitator and really likes it. She can wash comforters now.
sharon

ETA: front loaders don't use much water and that would be a plus if I didn't have grandkids and cats and dogs and now chickens. I want lots of water running through my dirty stuff! We got married 36 years ago and my mom bought us a washer and dryer from Sears. They still ran when we got rid of them a few years ago. I thought I wanted newer ones. I also don't like how water and debris gather in the front seal.

Last edited:
We're lucky that we've a friend who handles W/D for a living... ours has been hobbling, but still walking, for years.

What exactly is wrong with your washer anyways? Many things aren't that hard to fix... a pain, but not that hard... maybe you could repair instead of buying?

But one word of advice if you do buy, that seems superfluous since you already want a top loader... Our buddy has been called out to fix SO MANY front loaders. The seal gets messed up, and he gets called. He installs a news one, but the thing never runs as well as it did before the factory seal broke. He and his wife will NEVER get a front loader... ever. He rants about it, since he gets called out over and over about the stupid things and nothing he does can get it back to new seal quality. So, given that he's an expert on the subject I put a pretty high value on his opinion, much as I LOVE those for their looks, I won't be spending my money on one.

Consumer Reports did a really thorough report on washing machines about a year ago--look at a copy at the library before making up your mind about what to get--just realize that the current models have probably replaced the specific ones listed, but it will help you evaluate brands and features.

We bought this one last November: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xoc/R-100686313/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's
a Maytag Bravos, top load, no agitator. We wanted the 5.0 cu ft, but at the time the 4.7 was on sale for only $500 and couldn't pass that deal up. The 4.7 is still plenty big enough to easily accomadate comforters. I'm not a big "greenie", but I will say it uses a heck of a lot less water than our old traditional washer did. It's done good for us and washes well even without the agitator.

Be sure to look at warranty information. That was a big factor in going with the Maytag. It was either a 5 or 10 year warranty on the motor and wash basin.

I've been using a front loader from sears for 2.5 years, and have not had one problem with it. and I USE it. I make it wash queen size duvets, quilts, comforters, even rugs sometimes... pillows, and sometimes (don't tell) stuff it SO full, i'm not sure there's any room for water to get in too... love it. in fact yesterday I accidentally washed a pair of scissors... and yes, the spin cycle was kind of noisy...

Quote:
Oh they are AWESOME. I only wish my FIL (who recommended them to me in the first place) would look them up before conning DH into getting a car... three times now we've had cars that failed in the exact ways that CR showed they would... they really know their stuff!

Quote:
I have a TON of laundry. It used to be 5 loads a week and then we bought the Whirlpool Cabrio. Now it's two loads. I LOVE that washer. It used mostly steam to clean and is energy efficient, uses less soap, etc. I would TOTALLY recommend it if you need a quality high capacity washer.

Back
Top Bottom