1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need ya'lls thoughts .............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by griffinheather, Aug 14, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    Had some dogs get into my chicken and duck pen yesterday. To make a long story short: 4 dead silkies, 1 dead chick and 2 mia chicks. Got one silkie inside w/ a wound from pulled out feathers. I have two ducks, one was not injured, but the other one was, found a bare spot and a hole in his chest. Cleaned the wounds and packed the hole with calcium alginate dressing. Do ya'll think I should leave the duck outside w/ his mate or bring him inside? I guess I would cover the box w/ a towel b/c he's still pretty mobile compared to my silkie. any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Personally, I would bring him in, so I could keep an eye on him. Or, maybe in a cage with it's mate. So sorry for your loss, and good luck with the others !

3. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    sorry [​IMG] if you have chickens outside then i would keep the mate out with them. i would keep the poor duck inside though. again sorry about the dern dogs! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'd bring him in alone, or at least separate him because others might try to peck at the wound and make it worse. Plus, it would be best if you kept him in a sanitary environment to prevent the wound to get dirt in it. [​IMG]

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Agreed!

6. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    Agreed, I brought him in and got him as comfortable as I could. He's pretty confined, I don't want him moving around to much and pulling out the paking (though so far he hasn't messed w/ it..[​IMG]..). I was able to get him to drink some water. I know he's in a lot of pain, what about some enfant ibprofin? I put some enfant vitamins in both their water (just a tinsy bit) and my silkie even ate a bit of scrambled egg. I'm not sure if ducks do, but I put a taste or two in his container. Let's see how the night goes.

Thanks so much for ya'lls help!!!!!!

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
  8. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I am so sorry for you. What a bad day! I hope you baby makes it! Lots of TLC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by