need ya'lls thoughts .............

griffinheather

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Alexandria, LA
Had some dogs get into my chicken and duck pen yesterday. To make a long story short: 4 dead silkies, 1 dead chick and 2 mia chicks. Got one silkie inside w/ a wound from pulled out feathers. I have two ducks, one was not injured, but the other one was, found a bare spot and a hole in his chest. Cleaned the wounds and packed the hole with calcium alginate dressing. Do ya'll think I should leave the duck outside w/ his mate or bring him inside? I guess I would cover the box w/ a towel b/c he's still pretty mobile compared to my silkie. any ideas are greatly appreciated.

sorry
sad.png
if you have chickens outside then i would keep the mate out with them. i would keep the poor duck inside though. again sorry about the dern dogs!
hmm.png

I'd bring him in alone, or at least separate him because others might try to peck at the wound and make it worse. Plus, it would be best if you kept him in a sanitary environment to prevent the wound to get dirt in it.
big_smile.png

Agreed, I brought him in and got him as comfortable as I could. He's pretty confined, I don't want him moving around to much and pulling out the paking (though so far he hasn't messed w/ it..
fl.gif
..). I was able to get him to drink some water. I know he's in a lot of pain, what about some enfant ibprofin? I put some enfant vitamins in both their water (just a tinsy bit) and my silkie even ate a bit of scrambled egg. I'm not sure if ducks do, but I put a taste or two in his container. Let's see how the night goes.

Thanks so much for ya'lls help!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom