Need your advice, please!

biretta

Songster
12 Years
Jun 7, 2007
This predicament may seem silly to most, but I assumed there'd be some understanding chicken people on this site.

A few days ago I realized one of my 11-week old "pullets" was actually a rooster. I live in a neighborhood where that wouldn't go down so well. I found someone (on Craigslist) to take him. The catch is he won't be keeping him with his other chickens, all of which are hens. He (the rooster) would be staying in the barn with goats and horses, who it sounds would be his only companions. I am torn as to what I should do. I don't think a life of solitude is any life for a chicken, but the only other option if I have no takers is euthanization. I'm thinking I could send one of my 2 pullets (nestmates) with the rooster but I believe the guy would eventually separate them too. But that would leave me with only one pullet, so unless I could find her a companion she too would be alone, although eventually I'd integrate her with my hens. Unfortunately I don't have much time to sort this out; I'm supposed to bring the rooster over today.

Any thoughts????

thanks.

Maybe he's being polite and NOT saying said rooster will be Sunday dinner. But you have to be prepared. You give up ownership and its not your decision anymore.

I would have to suggest that he is controlling the mating of his hens. The rooster will only be with the hens when he wants certain fertile eggs.

Not everyone leaves a rooster in with the hens all the time.

Over time the breeding of the hens leaves them looking tattered, torn and poorly. They will even loose feathers from being mounted.

Many of us that breed pure varieties take the roosters out and let the hens have a break from from the several dozen times a day that the rooster wants to mate.

That's a tough decison to make. I know you want the best for your rooster. I'm in the same boat, I already have two roos and one of my pullets turned out to be a roo. No way can I keep 3 roos. I guess it's what it has to be....you can't keep him and can't find any one else to take him. You can just hope for the best. Do you have more time to find him a home? I feel so bad for the roos... they just end up dinner most times. Any way, if you can give it a little more time to find him a home, maybe some one else will come along....but it's hard getting rid of roos.....every one has extras! Good luck....

MissPrissy, I knew that roosters were often not kept with the hens, in the same enclosure, but aren't they usually kept at least within sight of other chickens, be they hens or roosters? Is it too idealistic for me to think or hope that they are at least allowed to *see* other chickens? Maybe so I guess.

Last edited:
Not every young rooster that's given away is destined for the stew pot. I gave my three extras away and I know they have a good home. I can visit them at any time. Some of the older folks around here, and some of the not so old, just like having a yard rooster. I myself didn't get roosters because I want or need fertile eggs (except later to replace my flock). I like watching them strut around and yes, I actually like their crowing in the wee hours of the morning. Others do too.

Good to know. I do hope he remains a yard rooster.

I don't mind the crowing either, but don't think my neighbors share the same opinion. And I much prefer it to the agitated squawking of some of my hens wanting out of the run!

Quote:
THanks, Chickflick. Unfortunately I don't have much more time, especially since I've already promised to bring him over today, after cancelling yesterday. I'm afraid if I pass this chance up, I'll be out of luck when his crowing is in full force. I'm sorry about your predicament too. Do you keep the 2 roos together? I'm in a neighborhood now, but we're building on 10 acres in the next year. Maybe I'll create a roo sanctuary!

I hope you find someone to take yours. Did you try Craigslist?

Back
Top Bottom