Need your help- have to decide in the next week

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mahm, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mahm

Mahm New Egg

Jan 27, 2011
    I'm so glad to find your site! I've dreamed of having chickens all my life and finally I can! I bought a house on a mountain with almost 3 acres and I want to have several chickens for the eggs.... just enough for about 6 or 8 people. I was just gifted with a used dog lot and I need to know how far away from my house to set this up. Once he brings it and takes it off the truck, I won't be able to move it far, so I need to know where to put it. It is level enough here, but very rocky. I'm in North Carolina near Mt. Airy ( Andy Griffith territory). Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

yay! chickens!!!!!

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    You'll probably want it several yards from the house - in wet weather the run can get smelly, and the spilled feed will attract rats. (Chickens are messy eaters!)

But balance that against how far you want to slog through snow in winter, and whether you'll need to carry water every day.

Have you been out on the property in the rain? Walk around and take note of how the water flows over the ground. You don't want to set your pen down in a place where water stands, or you really will have a smelly mess. Try to have a bit of runoff, and dig some drainage on the upper side.

But also consider shade, for the hot summers... there's always tradeoffs! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Set it up in the shade where it won't get super wet... ie has good drainage.

GOOD LUCK!!! and welcome to BYC...so glad you found us..

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    [​IMG]

6. Mahm

Mahm New Egg

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. I was afraid I would have to set my coop up a hundred feet from the house. I'll be bothering you alot, I'm sure!

have a great weekend!

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I am setting up my coop exactly one hose length from my outdoor spigot. I don't want to have to roll up more than one length of hose every day.
    It is also in the shade and very little of the snow we have had has accumulated under the trees on the site.
    There is no such thing as "drainage" on my property....so the coop is going up on stilts and the run is gonna be a problem forever....can you say "free range" (as much as possible)

My advice? Set it up where it is convienent for you, considering all the things your property offers and doesn't offer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by