1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need your opinion on chicken increase!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jbreeden00, Aug 5, 2014.

1. jbreeden00

jbreeden00 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Okay I am having the chicken crave. I have 6 right now. My coop interior is 5 1/2 feet by 6 feet with two roost going along the length and width of the coop. I have a run that is 6 by 16ft( they can go under the coop). I've added a little chick door since this photo, and added a small uncovered fenced in area. Most evening my hens get free range time. My question is I want two more ameracauna and two olive eggers. What do you think? That would mean 10 chickens for 33 sq ft. so 3 sq ft per chicken for the interior of the coop, not including the run and extra fenced in part for the day time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might work summers with lots of free range time....too small IMO for confinement necessary due to weather and /or predator surge.

You say inside is approx 6x6, but how much space does feed / water take up?
    Your birds look to be juveniles, they will get rather bigger when full grown.
    You will also need extra space to integrate new chickens into the flock.

I found in our wicked winter weather that even 8sqft per bird could get tight after a few days.

I'd strongly suggest holding off on more chickens until you get thru your first winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by