Need your opinion: what should every coop have?

CHICKENS

thumbsup.gif

A seperate entrance and space for human types that allows you to gather eggs and not actually go into the coop. Also good for storing feed etc.

Space under the coop that will always reamin dry and provides shade and dust bath areas.

A large (slider in my case) door to access the coop for clean out.

A ladder type roost that in hinged to fold out of the way for cleaning.

Lots of windows that open for summer ventilation.

A secure run that is 8' high and has 1/2" hardware cloth buried in the ground and runs to the top.

50k volt fence charger for Raccoon defense.

thats all I can think of for now.

Well, personally we use a black plastic "tarp" like thing on the bottom of our coop. Makes it easy to roll up and squirt off in the summer.

f I could redo my "big" coop I would have added a section that you had to stpe over when you open the human door to go in to prevent little feathery escape artist. I may go back and add one in later, I think 1-2 foot would be enough so the kids could get over but it would atleast slow the chickens down trying to get out!

A roof is most essential. A place to roost. Protect them from the heat and cold with walls at lest on 3 sides. Give em nest boxes and as much space as you can afford. Ventilation is key especially in hot areas.

Here are some SMALL DESIGNS. In my opinion bigger is better. Most of these are warm weather coops.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65954_img_0330.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65954_dsc_0174.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65954_dsc_0454.jpg

Quote:
Where are you located? See the thing is , if your where it's warmer during the day they won't spend much time in the coop anyhow. Chickens don't deal with heat all that well. Mediterranean breeds are best in hot areas.

I'd go with easy to clean. I doubt you'd want a coop that didn't have ample space anyhow.

Place everything tight to the walls if you can. Up off the floor so you can sweep with ease. Have a door wide enough to get your wheel barrow up to it to throw the yuk into it. I'm going to have to redesign the doors to the runs so I can get the wheel barrow through it or closer to it.

I'm trying the feeder and waterer out in the run this year. No food and water in the coop. Too messy. I will be putting in exterior nest boxes having them stick out into the runs which are covered.

23908_fall_2011_chickens_and_coops_386.jpg

I wish you well,

Rancher

WEll, let's see.....

Coop and run should be predator proof. Run should have a top.
Coop should be draft free and always dry.
Coop needs roosting bars at the appropriate height and size and nesting boxes
Area of shade is essential, also area for dust bathing and supervised free range time.
Tall enough for you to stand up
Easy clean and maintenance
Extra waterers, both inside and outside run
Build as large as you can with windows that can be opened in summer and closed in winter

It is so tempting to have more chickens that your current space allows. Your birds will be happier, live longer, produce more eggs, be healthier if they are not overcrowded. I think this is really important.

And last, every coop needs a sensible human to lock them in every night, keep the water clean and the food fresh, never let anyone chase them, give them love and treats and a safe place to live. The rewards are tremendous. Hope this is helpful.

When you first walk in to my coop that is where all of the food and supplies are. I built a wall, used screen, put in a door and I also made doors to the back of my nesting boxes which are built into that wall so if I have someone gather eggs for me while out of town they don't have to go in with the chickens if they dont want to. I also have two 5" holes in my poop boards with 5 gallon pails under them. I rake it through the hole in the bucket add more pine shavings to the board to soak up the moisture and smell and done.

I thought of another thing that is good. I got this idea on this site. Put a vinyl floor in the coop and make it go up the wall a ways. Cover the floor with shavings. Whenever you feel like cleaning, it's easy to wipe down.

Back
Top Bottom