Need your opinion: what should every coop have?

egglicious

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
What do you all consider to be the most essential quality in a coop? Ample space? Easy to clean? Cheap to buy/build? Really appreciate any input.
smile.png

nothing with legs running down to the floor!!!! you should have everything bolted to the walls and roof and such. nothing standing in there with legs that can hinder you swinging a net.. there's so much i'd change about my coop if i could redo it.

A human door and a chicken door.
Space for everyone, human and avian, to move around inside.
I wish I had made mine a little bigger so I could have had a separate area for food and supplies that I didn't want poop on.
A real pen, not a little place under the house.
Paint and trim so it doesn't look like a shack, unless you actually live on a working farm.

Double doors on the coop so you have access to everything inside.

Standing up room in the run so you can walk inside with ease.

Also, a folding chair in the run so you can sit with your chickens without your legs going numb from squatting, or your rear end covered in poo from sitting on the ground.
wink.png

A poop board under your roost for easy and fast cleaning. I have one coop that is 8x8 and you can go inside to clean it. Just a bucket and a hoe or trowel to scrape it off into the bucket. My other coop is 6x8 and it is raised about 3 feet off the ground. I can still walk onto it, but I wanted to try something I saw on this site. I made the back wall of the coop where the bottom
1/3 of the wall opens downward and I can put my bucket under the back edge of the poop board and clean it off without going into the coop. I love them both! Good ventilation is important, also if you can situate it so it is in shade in the summer is great!

I don't know where you live, but we get a ton of rain here. I have two little coops that I wish I could trade for one bigger covered structure with a coop area inside and cement floor with sand over the top. I get so tired of everything being wet.

Back
Top Bottom