Needed protein during the colder months

What is the recommended percentage of protein needed for layers in the colder months? My layers feed says it probides 16%
16% in the feed is usually fine for winter. There is some logic to providing extra carbohydrates for chickens in the winter. Moulting chickens may benefit from a protein boost but many moulting chickens go off commercial feed when they moult and if they are able to forage where the forage quality is reasonable and diverse they manage well enough on what they find.

As usual the breed of the chickens, their egg laying rate and their keeping conditions all have some influence.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...off-their-usual-feed-when-they-moult.1498056/

So the layers feed I'm using is Horizon and the protein is 16%

They are almost 21 weeks old so haven't started laying yet
Since when do you feed them the 16% protein layer feed?

Birds that are not laying (chicks, young pullets, cockerels, roosters) should not eat layer feed as it contains too much calcium and too little protein for their needs.

Consistenly consuming too much calcium will hurt their kidneys.

It would be better to switch to All Flock, Flock Raiser, Chick Starter or similar and put out a separate dish with crushed oyster shells for those who lay.

Oh..I've assumed since they are protein they would be essential to birds. So this is offered about 4 x a week
We have 4 birds so looking at the amt I put out I'd say they get about two tbsp each
Not essential at all, they're like potato chips for chickens.
Just get a higher protein feed, and cut back to a sprinkle of worms once or twice a week. :]

Back
Top Bottom