Needed protein during the colder months

DarliaC

Chirping
Jul 3, 2023
What is the recommended percentage of protein needed for layers in the colder months? My layers feed says it probides 16%

Layers should have atleast 18% protein year round and possibly 20% during molt.
They don't need higher protein in winter.
16% is the minimum amount of protein that chickens need to survive and lay eggs for the two year life spans that comercial egg hens have, and that number is rather dated.
IMHO, the baseline is 17%..

Layers should have atleast 18% protein year round and possibly 20% during molt.
They don't need higher protein in winter.
16% is the minimum amount of protein that chickens need to survive and lay eggs for the two year life spans that comercial egg hens have, and that number is rather dated.
IMHO, the baseline is 17%..
Thank you. So the layers feed I'm using is Horizon and the protein is 16%. We provide mealworms mostly daily but I don't know how much to provide per bird to make it up to 18% daily for them
They are almost 21 weeks old so haven't started laying yet.
Looking for the perfect diet for the time of year, age etc.
We have scratch too that I put out for them in the afternoon to evening.

Thank you. So the layers feed I'm using is Horizon and the protein is 16%. We provide mealworms mostly daily but I don't know how much to provide per bird to make it up to 18% daily for them
Cut out or cut way back on the meal worms and scratch, the worms are mostly fat and the scratch is all carbs.
And that weight will build up around their organs and cause them to fail.
Just find a higher protein feed, it will be cheaper for you and much better for them.

Mealworms have protein but they also have a lot of fat. You'd be better off switching to a feed with higher protein rather than trying to supplement via treats.

The scratch likely further dilutes down the protein they're getting, as a lot of scratches sit at maybe 9% protein?

Mealworms have protein but they also have a lot of fat. You'd be better off switching to a feed with higher protein rather than trying to supplement via treats.

The scratch likely further dilutes down the protein they're getting, as a lot of scratches sit at maybe 9% protein?
They get all the free flowing egg layers feed they want. Then the scratch is put down on the ground for them in the run. So the majority of what they eat is the layers feed. I assumed the mealworms were healthy because the feed store sells them.

They get all the free flowing egg layers feed they want. Then the scratch is put down on the ground for them in the run. So the majority of what they eat is the layers feed. I assumed the mealworms were healthy because the feed store sells them.
They're sold as treats, not as a daily ration.
Most feed stores sell all kinds of animal treats and candy, too.
They should be getting less than a tablespoon per bird of any treats they get.

How much scratch and mealworms for how many birds? Grocery stores sell Oreos but they're not exactly good for us either...

Scratch and mealworms are both treats and should not be fed in excess of roughly 10% of their intake. My flock gets maybe 2-3 Tbsp of scratch a day total for 10 birds.

They're sold as treats, not as a daily ration.
Most feed stores sell all kinds of animal treats and candy, too.
They should be getting less than a tablespoon per bird of any treats they get.
Oh..I've assumed since they are protein they would be essential to birds. So this is offered about 4 x a week
We have 4 birds so looking at the amt I put out I'd say they get about two tbsp each

Cut out or cut way back on the meal worms and scratch, the worms are mostly fat and the scratch is all carbs.
And that weight will build up around their organs and cause them to fail.
Just find a higher protein feed, it will be cheaper for you and much better for them.
I see
Well the do love the worms.. it's like crack for chickens

Back
Top Bottom