Can I add whey protein to my chickens feed to help them during their molt?

Whey protein is pretty cheap, do you guys think I can feed it to my chickens to help them during their winter molt? I am currently feeding them Kalmbach Layer Feed, can I mix whey in there?
You could do that, but it is usually cheaper and easier to just buy a bag of chick starter or all-flock or flock-raiser or other chicken feed that has a higher protein content. (Check the label to be sure it actually does have more protein, but 2% more protein in the whole bag of feed can be just as good as adding small amounts of something really high in protein.)

If you care about cost, definitely compare the prices for yourself. Which thing is cheapest will depend on the prices available to you, which may be very different than the prices available to me or to someone else. (For example, in the thread linked by @Certified Chicken Lover , there are people feeding whey that did not cost them any money, because it is a by-product of the cheesemaking they are doing anyway.)

You could do that, but it is usually cheaper and easier to just buy a bag of chick starter or all-flock or flock-raiser or other chicken feed that has a higher protein content. (Check the label to be sure it actually does have more protein, but 2% more protein in the whole bag of feed can be just as good as adding small amounts of something really high in protein.)

If you care about cost, definitely compare the prices for yourself. Which thing is cheapest will depend on the prices available to you, which may be very different than the prices available to me or to someone else. (For example, in the thread linked by @Certified Chicken Lover , there are people feeding whey that did not cost them any money, because it is a by-product of the cheesemaking they are doing anyway.)
Thanks so much.

FYI, while whey protein powder comes from the whey this person is talking about, it is not the same. Whey from cheese and yogurt making is more like yogurt in its nutritional makeup - lots of probiotics, calcium, and a little protein. The whey protein powder you buy in the store (the one OP is asking about) is a very concentrated and powdered version of this, and thus has a higher concentration of protein. Just wanted to clear that up.

Last edited:
I was wondering this same thing. I have been supplementing my flock's feed with canned fish, but I buy protein powder in bulk for myself and was recently thinking of adding that to the mix on occasion. Chickens can have milk so I don't see why it would be bad in moderation. I'll try it and let you know.

I was wondering this same thing. I have been supplementing my flock's feed with canned fish, but I buy protein powder in bulk for myself and was recently thinking of adding that to the mix on occasion. Chickens can have milk so I don't see why it would be bad in moderation. I'll try it and let you know.
Hi! I was wondering how this has worked out for you. I have some 9 month old hens that have started to molt. I happen to hate the smell of canned fish and I know I can "borrow" some of my husband's protein powder...

I give them boiled eggs and some kind of meat, usually non-spicy ham, during molts to provide protein. Never had issues. Whey seems off to me for no reason I can point out. Maybe I'm just set in my ways lol.

Hi! I was wondering how this has worked out for you. I have some 9 month old hens that have started to molt. I happen to hate the smell of canned fish and I know I can "borrow" some of my husband's protein powder...
I actually have only done it maybe once since posting that. I kind of forgot lol. It didn't have any negative effect that I noticed though! I just mixed a little into their warm grains and seeds mixture I sometimes make for them on cold days. I guess that may be a little counterproductive since the grains counteract the extra protein I'm adding, but oh well lol. Point being, I don't think the whey protein upset their stomachs.

I also want to add that you may want to check the ingredients on your husband's protein powder. Unless it's unflavored or specifically says no artificial sweeteners or colors, most proteins powders have sucralose and other artificial sweeteners and colors, which I imagine wouldn't be good for chickens. I used unflavored whey concentrate powder from bulksupplements.com when I tried this, but I know GNC and Vitamin Shoppe also stock unflavored protein. Just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom