Feeding baby chicks during Passover

gavriela

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
I understand what to do during Passover for my adult chickens, but I have new chicks currently on starter feed. What can I do for them during Passover? They're supposed to stay on the starter feed for several weeks, I think. Thanks.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Chicks should stay on starter feed until they are laying eggs or crowing. Then they can switch to all-flock or layer.

If you are Jewish, then this post might be what you were looking for, but I'd still feed the chicks their starter.

I understand what to do during Passover for my adult chickens, but I have new chicks currently on starter feed. What can I do for them during Passover? They're supposed to stay on the starter feed for several weeks, I think. Thanks.
I know things are a bit late now, but maybe this helps someone.

The main consideration with chicks is going to be protein. I don't know what you do for your hens, but for chicks, up the protein to 20% or higher. Peanuts and alfalfa may be a good place to start.

If you don't mind going the animal protein route, meat scraps and fish scraps can help, but you need something consistent. I like to get fish carcasses from the fishmonger, boil them, strain them, and blend them up. That paste should have around 60% protein, and a decent amount of calcium. Mealworms are also high in protein, but they are so high in fat, you'd be way overdoing it if you used enough for the protein.

Either way, the calculation for how much to add to get to your protein goal is actually easier than you think. Use the method known as the "Pearson's Square".
1714066147975.png

Enter your two mixture's values in the left corners, and the goal in the center. Subtract across the diagonals to get the number of parts of the other mixture. (In this picture, the result is 5 parts Supplement, 32 parts Grain.) Just be one of the two starting mixtures is higher than your goal, or it doesn't actually work.

I hope this helps, good luck, and Chag Kasher Vesameach!

The problem seems to be the water used in processing the feed. I feed my chicks chia seeds, quinoa, and corn meal. I don't think the corn meal uses any water, it's just ground up. I may also give flax seed.

Back
Top Bottom