Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients
· 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
· 1 onion, finely diced
· 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
Directions
1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Edited to add: I found these suggestions very helpful.

Reviewed on Oct. 8, 2006 by Krista

This recipe is AWESOME with a few modifications. I made it for my mom, husband, 3 year-old and 8 month old and it was a HUGE hit with all of us! My husband liked it better than his grandma's homemade chicken and dumplings and the gourmet chef who lives next door tasted it and thought it was an old family recipe.
smile.png
He loved it! First, you definitely need to add spices. I used cumin, parsley, poultry seasoning, seasoned salt and pepper. Next, I only used 1 can of biscuits, not 2. (I even used the reduced fat version and they tasted the same!) Thirdly, I used 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of cream of chicken. Instead of water, I used 3/4 can of low sodium/low fat chicken broth. At first, it seemed like way to much liquid, but eventually the biscuits soaked it all up! Fourthly, I added 2 CANS of mixed veggies (mix of carrots, peas, tiny potatoes, celery). I am not a fan of canned veggies by any means, but they tasted great in this recipe- so tender! I did add red onion, but I used only half and chopped the pieces extra small. Lastly, I cooked the biscuits for almost 3 hours for a total cooking time of 6.5 hours on high. 30 minutes is just not enough time! Another tip- if you accidentally add too much chicken broth, add a bit of sifted flour and the sauce thickens right up! I know that this recipe will be a winter tradition in our household for years to come!

Last edited:
Quote:
I make one very similar to this one all the time only add potatoes & carrots (no onion) and it's 1 can cream of chicken and 1 cream of mushroom. I also season the chicken pretty good with a chicken rub and use a bisquit mix and drop spoonfuls of the dough on top for the last hour or so until it's cooked. Very yummy !!!

Back
Top Bottom