NeedHelp-cajunflock's flock is just starting

cajunflock

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Hello All,

I am new to BYC and a new chicken tender. Below are a few photos of my new chicks. First, I want to thank BYC for all the helpful info on this website. Prepared me well. I have one question though. I just bought a red heat bulb for the chicks but I am worried that it might be to warm for them. Currently the brooder is on my porch and it is averaging 92 day time and 75 at night. Do I still run the heat light? Also if anyone sees anything wrong with my set up, please chime in.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi and ,
I just ran into the same problem with my chicks! we are in western PA and I brood them on the enclosed front porch. Temps are ranging here between 70 and 84. I have 3 brooders going and was using 250 red heat lamps. The temps were ranging within 3 degrees of where they should be for their age but the chicks were wilting. Couldn't figure out why. It was getting hot during the day so I turned off the lights and they got peppier. A later on in the day, I turned on the lights and they started to wilt.
So I cruised around BYC looking for answers. Dropped in on a thread where they were discussing heat , lights, and chicks. Got my answer there. The difference between heat lamps and incandescents. The incandescents give light and heat the general area. The red heat lamps heat the general area and the objects within that area!! The chicks were being directly heated by the red heat lamps, That is why they were wilting under the red heat lamps but not wilting under incandescents . I took out the 250 reds and put in 60 watt cool white incandecsnts. They are very happy. I only need to heat one area of the brooder large enough for them to gather under. I keep a thermometer under the light so I can adjust, if necessary. I hang my lights on a cord which can be raised and lowered with secure slip knot. Then I clamp the cord at the height I want with the rubber clamp on the light. Parachute cord works well because it is thick enough the rubber clamp can grip it tightly enough it doesn't slip with the incandescents. .I don't know how well it would work with heavy 250 reds. Best Regards, Karen in western PA, USA Just one more thought. That's nice brooder. Lay a screen of hardware cloth just over the area above which the lamp will hang. That way if your light or bulb ever do malfunction, the light drops or the bulb breaks, it will land on the hardware cloth, not in the wood shavings. You can push the hardware cloth aside when tending the brooder or chicks. Just a fire safety thang when using wood chips, smile.

Last edited:
My experience has been that 95 degrees the first week is too hot for chicks. Mine seem to prefer a constant temp of 85 the first week, 80 at week two, and between 75 and 80 the 3rd week. After that, they can regulate their body temps better.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I am just as new to this as my chicks are to the world. I have now tried heat light-red; floodlight-red; but all of it appears to be to hott for the little ladies. Right now it's about 85 degrees in the brooder at 12noon. They-chickens- seem to like it at this temperature. I guess next I will try a little white light bulb. The kind we used to use in the house, per the advise above. now I am worried about the mosquitos. My brooder is outside on my porch with a framed top covered with carpentry cloth wire stuff. My porch is not screened in. Should I try and make it some what bug proof? Please advise wise chicken masters.

Back
Top Bottom