Needing advice-pekin duckling

jstewart31

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Oklahoma
I purchased 2 ducks together at the local feed store. I researched heavily and decided on Rouen and pekin ducks since I wouldn't have to worry about shipping and they would be easy to buy. Anyway, my pekin (Remi) who is approximately 5 weeks, will let me hold her but of course runs when I attempt to do so. She follows me around and will get in my lap if I set down beside her. The problem is if I move my hands, touch my phone, try to pet her while she is by me she turns her head around as if trying to bite. She also hisses at EVERYTHING. I have tied the whole give them treats thing so they will learn your hand is good. Nothing helps. She still hisses and pecks/bites. I need help. I understand they don't like being riches all if the time, and I'm not asking because petting is the only issue. I'm asking because I feel like I can't move a muscle if she is by me without risk of getting hisses at or bitten. I just don't want this to continue until she is grown and harder to handle.
Thanks

images

Welcome to BYC!

I don't know anything about ducks. So you might want to post this in our Ducks section for help from the Duck experts...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

We do welcome you to our flock however. Make yourself at home here on BYC.

Good luck with your birds! I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Thanks so much. I got a little hasty and didn't realize I was in the new member introduction. I posted in the proper group. Thanks!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your opinionated little duckling, she sounds like a handful, looks like TwoCrows pointed you in the right direction for advice.

Which is exactly what I should be doing. Haha. Saturday is my relax day after a busy work week. Remi enjoyed coming in for a snack before I take her for a swim later. She did her usual, "hiss and peck" as I call it. So it made me think okay that's enough I need some advise.

I purchased 2 ducks together at the local feed store. I researched heavily and decided on Rouen and pekin ducks since I wouldn't have to worry about shipping and they would be easy to buy. Anyway, my pekin (Remi) who is approximately 5 weeks, will let me hold her but of course runs when I attempt to do so. She follows me around and will get in my lap if I set down beside her. The problem is if I move my hands, touch my phone, try to pet her while she is by me she turns her head around as if trying to bite. She also hisses at EVERYTHING. I have tied the whole give them treats thing so they will learn your hand is good. Nothing helps. She still hisses and pecks/bites. I need help. I understand they don't like being riches all if the time, and I'm not asking because petting is the only issue. I'm asking because I feel like I can't move a muscle if she is by me without risk of getting hisses at or bitten. I just don't want this to continue until she is grown and harder to handle.
Thanks

This is Baby he is 3 years old and is under my fee every time
I go outside and when I touch him he hisses but he want's
some attention and likes to come in the shop and watch T.V.
if I am watching an action movie ....

These are our new Rouen Ducklings same attitude and they
were three week in the photo but are now ten weeks and do
not like being bothered or they quack ...

Bob & Aflack neither one like to be bothered but Bob will let
you know his dislike for movement just part of their makeup ..

In 20 years of raising ducks only a couple were cool and she
was a Kaki Campbell Duck small and laid many egg's but
also very sweet but I had her from day one and she was a
Kling-on from the very start .....

Back
Top Bottom