Needing advice re possible Mareks

So this is my pullet Beyonce. She is an awesome chicken. American game mix. Super tame, super sweet but she could also be put out in the wild and probably live for years. She’s a bad a**. A couple weeks ago, this showed up on her eye. It hasn’t changed, gotten better, gotten worse. Its just there. She also stumbles now and then. Apart from that, she is great. She eats, she drinks, she lays in -10 degree weather. She barely sleeps in the cold, she is constantly up “foraging”. I have my suspicions about what is wrong with her. I have 2 other birds in with her that are healthy. I have 4 more birds to integrate into this flock of 3.
The only good news, is that if it is mareks, they aren’t in their permanent coop yet and it is nowhere near their current home. Though it is near the compost where I dump their bedding.
The 4 that have yet to be integrated are nearby. Probably near enough that they have been exposed.
Has anyone experienced these symptoms? If it seems like Mareks, what should I do? How long before I start seeing worse symptoms? Will the other 2 get it?
View attachment 2004022
Signs
  • Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
  • Loss of weight.
  • Grey iris or irregular pupil.
  • Vision impairment.
  • The skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.
I'm afraid to say, That looks like it... :(:(:(

Signs
  • Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
  • Loss of weight.
  • Grey iris or irregular pupil.
  • Vision impairment.
  • The skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.
I'm afraid to say, That looks like it... :(:(:(
I know :( I’ve read almost every Mareks article out there. But she is healthy. She lays, she eats, she drinks, she kicks the other chickens asses if they try to get near the treats...there’s more to it I think.

So she quit laying for awhile (3-5 days) and seemed to get a lot better as far as balance. I also gave her an entire fish carcass. But then today this. The small one is a soft shell. The regular size one is slightly bigger then her usual eggs.
9959283D-BD32-40F7-A1F2-5F167D8E146D.jpeg

And today, a pointy egg:idunno

We haven’t had her a place to roost as she is in with 2 silkies and in the cold I wanted to encourage them all to sleep together huddled. I put a roost in today and she is unable to hold herself up on it. Like she tries to sit back on her haunches and that obviously does not work for balance. All in all though she is doing way better and her balance is better and she has her tail up a lot more.

I’ve decided to integrate my other chickens. I’ve had them for 4 weeks in quarantine. She has weird symptoms but isn’t dying and neither are the other two, unless its very very slow.

Attachments

• 068E68F6-37F8-4BAC-BD36-5DB4BE08F2E7.jpeg
    068E68F6-37F8-4BAC-BD36-5DB4BE08F2E7.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 0
With the recent odd eggs, it sounds like she may have a reproductive disorder. Sometimes those affect the balance and ability to walk. Hopefully, it is not Mareks.
After this pointy egg she laid a giant double yolker and has been laying regular eggs consistently so it looks like she just had a bad few days reproduction wise. She seems very healthy but still isn’t roosting. We built a little roost for her about 8 inches off the ground but she isn’t using it and if I put her on it she is unable to stay on it.

Back
Top Bottom