Needing advice! Thinking about letting our girls free range...

I too will want to free range when I get my hens. How much do I need to worry about the nibbling at plants that are toxic to chickens such as Fox Glove? Do I need to get rid of the Fox Glove or do they steer clear of the fully grown plants going for the smaller spouts and bugs?

This is just from my experience. I have rhubarb and was worried when I got my hens. They don't touch it. They'll pick at everything else around it though. But I'm sure every plant is different as far as lure as every bird is different as far as tasting toxic plants. So if your really worried, better safe than sorry is the way to go. Or just watch them and see what they do.

Another note. If you grow veggies or have a prize flower bed, fence it off. My girls took out the cucumbers in about a day. I only let mine out for about 3-4 hours a day, while I'm home, so they don't do too much damage, but if you free range all day, they love those flower beds.

Once you let them free range you can't go back. They won't let you. And they'll investigate every inch of your lawn. And they'll poop on every inch of your lawn. And your family will complain. And your family will still let them out because they felt bad looking at the chickens looking at them. If the chickens don't know about the big world outside their run they won't be dissatisfied with what they have. Of course, this advice is coming from a moron who just hosed chicken poop off her patio.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Nah, you're just a softie who can't resist chicken tears. Or maybe yours are the kind that throw chicken TANTRUMS. That's a little harder to deal with -- especially when all the OTHER chickens in the neighborhood get to free-range... <whine, whine, "it's not FAIR!">
gig.gif

I also live in the SF bay area. I free range my four girls all day long. To keep them from fly over the fence, I clipped their flight feathers which safe and painless.

I "free Range" with an 8x10 tractor that I move every day. They love it and I don't have to clean poop/shavings. and my grass is really getting green.

Ours free range, and they are definitely beloved pets. As has been mentioned by others, I just can't cage them because they are so happy being out, even though I know they might be eaten by a hawk someday. We have a four foot fenced acre, lots of cover, three hens and no roosters. They never try to leave the yard, and come running whenever we go outside to hang out with us, such friendly little hens. They also come to the sliding door or sit on the deck rail to look in the window at us. We do lock them in quite securely at night, tons of raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom