Needing help with choosing what breeds to get

Felicia

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Michigan
I need some help with choosing some breeds. I have some silkie/showgirl eggs in the bator, but they are for showing. I am wanting to get some chicks for eggs
smile.png
. I am now addicted to chickens!

Either this year or next year I would like to get a small flock (from 10-20 chickens) for eggs. I would like to be able to give them to family and friends. I need breeds that are known for friendliness. I would love to have an assortment of different colored eggs. I really want some dark brown, brown, pink, (deep) olive, and blue eggs. What breeds should I get?

I also need to know where the best place to get the chicks. So if you are a breeder, or if you know a good breeder - please pm me.

I appreciate all the help!
big_smile.png

We have Dominiques and they laid all but three days this winter and they have no heat or lightbulb in the coop. They are very friendly except for the roo. "Punt" is ..... well .... he earned his name.
cool.png
They lay medium to large brown eggs. The hens are lovebugs though!

I ordered from Stromburg and Meyer and all lived.

Definitely get some welsummers for dark eggs. I realize marans are the hot item right now, but I think the welsummer eggs are ever so much prettier. Plus welsummers are sweet and docile birds with great personalities. I just love mine to pieces and totally want more of them.

Orpingtons have sweet dispositions as well. They come in a variety of colors and lay a med brown egg.

EEs will get you green eggs and true Ameraucanas will get you blue eggs. All sorts of people can get you EE eggs. There is a webpage for the Ameraucana society that lists local breeders for that. Do a search on here for breeders and that link will likely pop up.

Good luck with your flock.
smile.png

Oh the Welsummers eggs are beautiful! And the breeds are gorgeous too.

Thanks for the breed suggestions, I will be doing research on them
smile.png

What breed lays olive eggs?

Easter Eggers lay green eggs. The actual shade depends on the individual chicken. That's actually part of the fun of EEs- you never really know what color green you will get. Two of mine lay olive colored eggs and two of them lay a color closer to mint. It's very fun!

The welsummers are great birds. Mine were slow to lay, but it was totally worth it. Their eggs are my favorite. The speckles are great fun too. Plus, they have such a mellow, inquisitive personality. They just tickle me!

Good luck with your flock.

oooohhh good question and here is my answer
smile.png

(Hop on the phone to Meyer Hatchery) order Ameracauna (EEs), Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Dominique, Cochins and Light Brahmas. Silver Laced Wyandottes are great too but I have heard that they can be aggressive...mine is not, she stalks me but it is for attention and treats. She also rides in my van and goes for rides.
lol.png

Sorry for your addiction but we are enablers here...there is no hope for you know. hehehe

Felicia - I adore my Dominiques. They, along with my Cochins, have layed all winter.

Where are you in Michigan? There are alot of Michiganders on this site.

Cetawin - haha, I have realized this. Everytime I go online I find some other type of chicken I want to get.

Chickenmaven - I live right next to Lapeer
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom