Needing help with injured chicken foot.

GabrielH

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2021
Brazil
I need help to treat one of my chickens, who injured her foot (I don't know how) about a week ago. The region is extremely swollen, warm, and painful. She is still eating and drinking a little but lost a lot of her normal weight already. Even after a week, her condition hasn't improved

I gave her 1g of Meloxicam per day (she weighs 1,8kg) for 3 consecutive days but it didn't show any improvement.
Added some vitamins and fish oil to her feed.

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 11.09.26 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 11.09.26.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 11.09.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 11.09.32 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-02 at 11.09.32.jpeg

It looks swollen like she may have sprained or fractured it.Wrapping or splinting might further cause more swelling or interruption of her circulation, so I would confine her to a crate or pen, but try to keep her with her flock. Prevent her from jumping up and down from a roost. Can you make sure that she is able to to reach her food and water, and try giving some extras, such as scrambled egg or tuna for protein. Human vitamin B complex or super B complex can benefit the legs. Dose is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into some food or a little water.

It looks swollen like she may have sprained or fractured it.Wrapping or splinting might further cause more swelling or interruption of her circulation, so I would confine her to a crate or pen, but try to keep her with her flock. Prevent her from jumping up and down from a roost. Can you make sure that she is able to to reach her food and water, and try giving some extras, such as scrambled egg or tuna for protein. Human vitamin B complex or super B complex can benefit the legs. Dose is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into some food or a little water.
Thank you. You helped me with a case of cankers last year and here you are, helping me again. Truly a godsent.
I am pretty sure that is bumblefoot. It also might be a sprain or other injury among that line. @Eggcessive , any ideas?
It doesn't show any signs of bacterial/fungal infection. the skin hasn't been damaged, the inflammatory process started from the inside. I think it has been broken or fractured, but I can be wrong.
The middle toe looks a bit swollen. Does it have a scab? The ankle appears swollen.
The most swollen part of her leg is what would be the palm of her hand. The toes are a little swollen compared to the other healthy foot, her shin is not swollen. But all of her injured leg is extremely hot.

What is your opinion on the use of anti-inflamatories such as prednisolone or meloxicam? Should I use them or no?

Meloxicam is used by vets to treat infammation and pai, so if you have it, I would use it. However, prednisone should not be used without vet supervision. It has too many side effects, and must be weaned in dosage.

Back
Top Bottom