Needing quiet chickens!

2 Chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Soon, I am planning to move and I live in a city. We'll have neighbors, so I wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot and annoy them with loud chickens. So I'll need quiet ones. They don't need to be major egg layers, but I'd like good layers. And by quiet, I also mean a quiet egg song too. Any ideas?

Not sure if there IS such a thing as a "quiet egg song" that's breed-specific. From what I've seen, it's individual-specific. Mine range from "I can hear that from my kitchen office" to "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? !!!!" Then of course there are the times that they all decide to chime in at once, like they're cheering one of them on. I know there are individual birds that are relatively quiet, but that seems to be hit or miss. Other than egg laying time, mine are pretty quiet. I have cuckoo marans and speckled sussex.

Agree. Expecting to get 4 or 5 "quiet" chickens is highly unlikely. If you could sort through a few dozen birds and the flock keeper knew them well, she/he might be able to pick you out some quiet ones. They are rarer than you might think. No bird is completely quiet as even the quiet ones can still make normal chicken calls when they feel the need to do so.

Back
Top Bottom