Needing some experienced opinions - Agressive/scared duckling.

kcollins

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Southeastern Michigan
We just picked up our new 5 day old Black Swedish yesterday. The man we got him from flat out told us he never handled them because he didn't want to get attached. Needless to say, this duckling is petrified of us. Hissing, trying to bite, and running away in total fear. I know there is an adjustment period, but I was a little taken aback by how aggressive it acts. We have a 5-6 week old Pekin who we got right about the same age and it never acted to this extreme, even the first day. Within 2 days our Pekin was imprinted, and no where near as scared. We are handling the Swedish a lot in hopes he will come around. I know it has only been a day, but I am slightly concerned. Our Pekin is incredible and so bonded to us. We are hoping for another duck that way as well. Is there hope for the new duckling or do you think it imprinted on other ducklings so soon? Any suggestions, or advice very welcome. Thanks!

Start handling the duck and keep on talking to it. It will be hard in the beginning but it will get used to it. Have lots of peas ready while holding it. Its a positive reward and it will probably only take you 2 days to have the duck come around. They are smart and learn positive things really fast.
Katharina

Ditto the peas, also finely sliced salad greens, and I would give it some vitamins or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water as a tonic. It may have had an unpleasant experience, we do not know. Feeling healthy helps get over scary things, I think.

Warmth and peaceful environment, smiles, sweet talk (I sang lullabies to my ducklings - there is a purpose to my madness - I wanted them to have something pleasant to associate with certain sounds, so when they are agitated, I sing them the same lullabies and it works to calm them).

See if there is any particular detail that sets the duckling off worse - is it hands? Feet? Something coming from above them? Movement? Sound? Duckyfromoz had me entering the brooder room on hands and knees while my runners were having some sudden anxiety problems
gig.gif
- glad I am the only one in the house who makes videos!

A trick I learned here (wish I could remember who posted this) is to hold the peas inside my half-closed hand. This somehow helps the ducklings become a little less leary of hands - their natural foraging instinct to root around for food seems to kick in, and it can become a sweet game (not a keep-away game, just a little hide and seek game).

Please let us know how it goes.
hugs.gif

Thank-you both for the advice about the peas. Once I got him to taste (or should I say bite LOL) at the pea and it tasted it, we made some progress. My daughter and I both were able to get the duckling to come across the cage to our hands to take them. It is still extremely skiddish, but I am really pleased that we made a little progress today. Having it just walk willing up to my hand for the pea felt like a HUGE accomplishment. LOL So hopefully over the next few days he will calm down some. Going from one little one that adored us immediately to this little freaked out one has been a challenge. Our Pekin loves everything and everyone including the cat (see my avatar)
smile.png
Hoping for another sweetie to add to the family.
Thanks again for the tips! I will try to post some pics up here sometime of "Smudge" and "Princess Peeps".
wink.png

56701_princess_peeps_-_6_weeks.jpg

56701_smudge_-_6_days.jpg

Yep, peas are the way to ducks hearts. Just keep putting your hand in the brooder with peas on it until he/she is comfortable with your hand in there. You could also sit in a confined area with the ducklings and just sit still talking softly to him. Remember to have peas with you when you do this. If you can get the duckling to conect you with yummy peas then you are well on your way to having a best friend.

Ducks mostly aren't lovey dovey animals. My swedish mixes HATE to be picked up or touched in any way. But they will come running across the yard and eat out of your hand. If I sit down they will walk over my legs I just better not try and touch them.
roll.png
If I want to hold a bird I hold my chickens... they don't mind.

At 5 days old, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to come around. Just make sure to wrap it in a towel when you hold it, ducklings have very sharp claws!
hmm.png

No kidding my hands are all scratched up. I've been putting my ducklings onto their back and rub their bellies. Something all duck hate because it puts them out of control. They have learned to tolerate it and not to fight. That is a huge trust thing for them. Vitamin water with electrolytes is also a good thing. It calms them down and takes the stress off. Overall you will be fine with the duckling. I bet in two days it is a totally different duck. They learn so fast, its amazing.
Katharina

Made great progress tonight! Smudge voluntarily came up to me, cautiously, and snuggled when I had him out of the brooder. Yay! We are on our way to bonding! Thanks everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom