Needing some help

tjhix01

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
We received these 3 beautiful ladies from our au t and uncle. They said they were americuna but we are not really sure. Can you all help?

The two with muffs could be Ameraucana, a White and Blue variety, but, of course, there is always a possibility that they are Easter Eggers (mixed hybrids of breeds that still possess the blue-egg gene, they could lay not just blue or blushish green eggs, but also pink, tan, yellow, and green). However, they look like pure Ameraucanas.

The other gold/white one with the single comb is a Red or Gold Sex-Link (also known as Stars). They are a sex-linked breed that is well-known for great egg laying skills, usually a cross between a red gene cock and silver gene hen. (Sex-Links can be a variety of hybrid breeds, the male parent can also be Buff Orpingtons or New Hampshire, etc.) I have had three, and they are just great! Good luck!

Last edited:
The two with muffs could be Ameraucana, a White and Blue variety, but, of course, there is always a possibility that they are Easter Eggers (mixed hybrids of breeds that still possess the blue-egg gene, they could lay not just blue or blushish green eggs, but also pink, tan, yellow, and green). However, they look like pure Ameraucanas.

The other gold/white one with the single comb is a Red or Gold Sex-Link (also known as Stars). They are a sex-linked breed that is well-known for great egg laying skills, usually a cross between a Rhode Island Red cock and a White Leghorn hen (Sex-Links can be a variety of hybrid breeds, the male parent can also be Buff Orpingtons or New Hampshire, etc.) I have had three, and they are just great! Good luck!
2x

The white and blue ones appear to be true Ameraucanas. The middle one is a Red Sex Link pullet. With due respect to Blackberry18, Red Sex Links are not normally bred by using White Leghorn hens as White Leghorns usually lack the silver factor gene necessary for producing Red Sex Links. Red Sex Links are bred by crossing a red gene rooster (usually RIR, NH, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (RIW, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, or sometimes silver factor White Rocks). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from that lady. :eek:)

The white and blue ones appear to be true Ameraucanas. The middle one is a Red Sex Link pullet. With due respect to Blackberry18, Red Sex Links are not normally bred by using White Leghorn hens as White Leghorns usually lack the silver factor gene necessary for producing Red Sex Links. Red Sex Links are bred by crossing a red gene rooster (usually RIR, NH, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (RIW, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, or sometimes silver factor White Rocks). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from that lady. :eek:)
Really? Guess my 4-H Avian Manual is incorrect. Out of curiosity, what about Black Sex-Links? My book says a Rhode Island Red cock and a Barred Rock hen. You read differently?

Out of curiosity, what about Black Sex-Links? My book says a Rhode Island Red cock and a Barred Rock hen.
That is the most common hatchery cross for Black Sex Links although you can get a Black Sex Link by crossing any solid colored rooster with any barred gene hen (Barred Rock, Dominique, Cuckoo Maran, etc.). I've raised Black Sex Links for years (RIR rooster X BR hen) and they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning our more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Great birds!

The white bird is a White Ameraucana, the red one is a Red Sex-Link, and the blue one is a Blue Ameraucana, probably. If the white one and blue one lay eggs that aren't blue, then they aren't technically Ameraucanas however and are instead Easter Eggers.

The white bird is a White Ameraucana, the red one is a Red Sex-Link, and the blue one is a Blue Ameraucana, probably. If the white one and blue one lay eggs that aren't blue, then they aren't technically Ameraucanas however and are instead Easter Eggers.
x2

That is the most common hatchery cross for Black Sex Links although you can get a Black Sex Link by crossing any solid colored rooster with any barred gene hen (Barred Rock, Dominique, Cuckoo Maran, etc.). I've raised Black Sex Links for years (RIR rooster X BR hen) and they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning our more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Great birds!
Definately agree! Excellent layers, have had three myself, along with a few Red Sex-Links.

Back
Top Bottom