Needing tips

mumoftwo

Hatching
Jun 23, 2019
I’m looking into getting two silkie bantam chickens for inside, however, they will get LOTS of outside time. What I was wondering is.. what do I need to have before I get them? Will a rabbit cage do for short periods and for them to sleep in? Feed? Will a pet carrier work to transport them in the car with us? Any advice and tips are welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
They tend to create a tremendous amount of dust. And chickens do not enjoy change, so they will not really like traveling with you. I would use a bottle with a nipple, like for a rabbit to water them. You might have to paint the end of it red. But it keeps it from sloshing all over.

I’m looking into getting two silkie bantam chickens for inside, however, they will get LOTS of outside time. What I was wondering is.. what do I need to have before I get them? Will a rabbit cage do for short periods and for them to sleep in? Feed? Will a pet carrier work to transport them in the car with us? Any advice and tips are welcome. Thank you!
It sounds like you are brand new to keeping chickens?
Do you have an outdoor coop and run built yet?

How often do you plan on taking them in the car, just to bring them home or regularly?

IMO, keeping chickens inside is not a good idea,
but many do and they should be along eventually to advise you.

Meanwhile.... Welcome to BYC! @mumoftwo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-24_8-59-9.png

Back
Top Bottom