Needs some help!

jdodd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Indiana
I have a 10 week old Broad Breasted White turkey that got hurt by a dog. Sh elost some feather on one of her legs and took some skin with it. I treated it trying to keep out any infection and made sure I added supplements in her water. Well today I went out and she is not moving really at all. She is having trouble breathing and at one time had bubles coming out of one of her eyes. I have heard of some nasty respitory dieses in chickens but didn't know if she could be getting some kid of infection. I could use all the help you all can give me.

Well I would be first checking for any open puncture wounds. My standard poodle got my flock and I had to sit with needle and thread. I put mine in the house, in an old drawer in my bathroom. My vet told me to get some Duramycin-10.

As for bubbles? Well I'd start with a warm quiet room. It may be a little difficult to get the humidity out of the room since you're in IN. but I would think a dry room for a resperatory illness would be a start.

Hope this helps!!! GOOD LUCK!

The turkey seem to eat good but is all ways fluffed up and is breathing heavy. I am keeping her away from the other turkey and the chickens. It is almost like she has a cold does anyone know of some stuff I could give her for a respitory infection or is this something she is going to have to work through.

Definitely sounds like infection. She might benefit greatly from an antibiotic but I have no suggestions on which one to try. Maybe someone more knowledgable would have a reccomendation.

I think I am going to go pick up some Tylan 200 and give her a shot of that. I got her in the garage right now with a heat lamp. I don't want to bring her in because my wife is pregnant and I have two three year olds. I am starting to think she has some respiratory infection. I have been giving her Duramycin 10 in her water but it hasn't been helping. I think it is set in so I am going to have to give her a shot.

Steve,
Thanks for the info. How much and how often should I give her. Would Tylan 50 be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom