Neglected animals. I need advice!

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this up again but I've just found out some very sad news... More chicks have been dragged through the cat flap into my old friends house. I'm really annoyed that the owner of these chicks isn't taking care of them. My old friend now has more chicks that I will be unable to rescue.

I really need to call the RSPCA or something similar, does anyone know who I should call in this situation? (I live in the UK)

Get help ASAP! Those chicks won't survive there very long! Try talking him out of the chicks, or next time you're over there, take them and run.... do whatever you have too to help those innocent little lives! Tell the local pet shop, they will understand, since he's banned from it, right? Or talk to the guy's mom....
Please update us whenever you can!

-Ellochicken's Got Your Back
yippiechickie.gif

At 22 years old, him treating them like he did last time, this guy has a problem. Please do everything possible to get those things away from him then try to figure out where this cat is getting them. Did you think about this: the cat isn't bringing them into the house at all? A cat won't leave a whole trail of dead baby chicks. Just saying.

call the rspca, and if there is a local animal control officer, they might know where the chicks are coming from as the loss might have been reported to them.

@ galanie

You are totally right about a cat not leaving a trail of baby chicks! It probably could only fit two in it's mouth. Tops. I'd say call the RSPCA. Quickly. Let them investigate that themselves. It sounds kind of suspicious.
Rezia

Thanks guys.

I'm going to knock on a few doors around my old friends area today and see if I can find out where these chickens are coming from, then I'll call the RSPCA with the information I've found.

I stopped talking to my old friend after last time. He's a total freak, I didn't want him near my animals, I had nothing in common with him and I'd be embarrassed to be seen with him. Because I haven't spoken to him since last time I had to rescued chicks from him, it's going to be extremely difficult for me to rescue anymore animals from him.

I did wonder if he was simply buying chicks and telling everyone he'd rescued them so he'd get more chance of keeping them (his mom would be pretty angry if she found out he was buying them) but, I did see several dead chicks in the road (perhaps meaning someone has dumped them) and the last chicks I took off him had nasty wounds...So the story of the cat bringing them in makes sense. Finally, my old friend says the new chickens he's found are "teenagers"...The last chicks I rescued are not chicks anymore but aren't quite adults either, so in his words they are "teenagers"...I believe they could all have hatched from the same clutch of eggs.

What do you guys think?

The source of these chicks HAS to be really close by, I bet you would find out who it is by knocking on doors, but I wonder if it would be better to just call the authorities and let them do the investigating...this guy sounds dangerous and the last thing you want to do is get him ticked off and possibly get into a confrontation with him...and it might be difficult to keep him from finding out that you are talking to his neighbors about him...

Last edited:
You're right. It wouldn't be difficult for his neighbors to describe what I look like to him.

To be honest, I'm a bit worried that the authorities won't do anything about what's going on. I'm sure they'll find where the chickens are coming from and they'll caution the owners or remove the chickens if their living conditions are poor, but I doubt they'll do anything about my old friend. Even though he's been banned from the local pet store and he's killed several of his pets no legal action has been taken yet. There is no evidence of neglect for the authorities to justify doing anything.

I've seen his poor neglected pets before and I've heard him talk about how he tries to kill the pets he no longer wants. I find it upsetting and disturbing. The thought of him having these chickens sickens me. It will only be a matter of time before the novelty of pet chickens will wear off. He'll get bored of feeding and cleaning up after them so he'll ignore them, then when the poor animals become a clear case of neglect, he'll kill them to hide what he's done.

Back
Top Bottom