Neighbor busted for hawk death

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mattemma, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I know about the fines and all,but never thought it was followed through on.

It is all heresay but I was talking to my neighbor about hawks,and how I don't know what I would do to the hawk if I came up on it killing my hens.He then mentioned that a neighbor down the road was fined 5k for killing a hawk.

Someone reported him for killing the hawk. So I am thinking to myself that 5 k is better spent by me on building a strong run than paying to the government for the death of one bird.I am in a fish bowl with several neighboring properties/windows looking in on me,so I could get reported too. I really did not think this was one of those laws that was enforced.Maybe the neighbor was lying,but I wonder since I have never talked to him before. I am going to take the neighbor some eggs soon for coming over and replacing my water tank after it flooded the house.If the moment is right I will ask more details about the fined neighbor,so I can go talk to them.

Who do people report you to any? The police or your state wildlife agency? Anyway I just thought I would post about it,because like I said I really did not think this law was enforced.It just seemed crazy that anyone could get fined that muuch for killing a bird,but I guess they do get fined.

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    It normally gets turned over to the federal authorities once reported, and yes the fine is hefty.

It is a federal crime.

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
  4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Use uprights.... that interferes with their ability to land.

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    What are uprights???

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeah, as all levels of government are cash strapped for money...they'll be looking for ways to get more money.

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    They are protected, but then it comes down to the story. If I had to remove a hawk, it would be because "it was coming after my dog." Sorry, but I don't know anybody who would tell you that you should have let it kill your pet. [​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:The would not be a defense that would stop you from being fined. The birds are federally protected not federally protected except when... For what it's worth there is also the possibility of jail time for killing some raptors.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I guess you never know who is watching.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

To get busted, whoever did it had to go running his (or her mouth) about it to get reported. Because something like that would be hard to prove otherwise... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by