Neighbor complaining about roosters crowing

We definitely have different experiences.. I've always found it interesting how sound they seem to be šŸ˜ But who knows maybe it's the breed or situation. I can't free range (neighbors dogs and local woodland critters).. though by today's standards my area qualifies as such. They have a huge fenced area and umm I may need to mow in there.šŸ˜³ Monstrous weeds and I'm pulling up gobs of baby sassafras trees. Everyone gets locked up at night..
Your experience does not match mine.

I've grabbed chickens off the roost at night, and they can seem pretty alert, flapping their wings, and struggling and making noise. I've taken broodies off the nest in the dark and put them on perches, but they got themselves back on the nests in the dark (I checked back later, while it was still dark.) I've taken chickens out of trees during the night, and those ones really tend to struggle and be hard to hold onto; if they get out of my hands, they manage to run and sometimes hide. If I get close enough to touch them, they jump away again. (I try to avoid this situation, but it's happened a few times.)

I grant that chickens don't see well in the dark, but I don't find them to sleep as soundly as many people say. They mostly stay put, because they don't want to run or fly when they can't see, but they certainly do move if they think they need to.

It's best to know what the local 'rules' are, in fact before moving into an area, it's best to look at zoning ordinances.
As @3KillerBs mentioned already, if you are legal, ignore it. If there's a sound ordinance, pay attention to that one. Your Silkie is the least of it anyway.
And our roosters will sound off any time of the day or night if something bothers them.
Mary
I checked the noise ordinance times. My silkie roo definitely does not crow during 10p - 8a. We just slept with our bedroom window open last night, too, to double check.

"(a)No person shall between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. make, cause, suffer or permit to be made any offensive noise (1) which is made within one hundred feet of any building or place regularly used for sleeping purposes, or (2) which disturbs, or would tend to disturb, any person within hearing distance of ..."

Ok. I let the silkie rooster out at 8:45a. after eating some breakfast, he started crowing at 9am. I tested closing my windows and his crowing isn't too loud. The complaining neighbor has his windows open and don't understand why he can't close it during the crowing.

Your experience does not match mine.

I've grabbed chickens off the roost at night, and they can seem pretty alert, flapping their wings, and struggling and making noise. I've taken broodies off the nest in the dark and put them on perches, but they got themselves back on the nests in the dark (I checked back later, while it was still dark.) I've taken chickens out of trees during the night, and those ones really tend to struggle and be hard to hold onto; if they get out of my hands, they manage to run and sometimes hide. If I get close enough to touch them, they jump away again. (I try to avoid this situation, but it's happened a few times.)

I grant that chickens don't see well in the dark, but I don't find them to sleep as soundly as many people say. They mostly stay put, because they don't want to run or fly when they can't see, but they certainly do move if they think they need to.
We have a RING camera in the coop. If we had ā€˜motion alertsā€™ on, it would be activating all night long. Itā€™s almost like they donā€™t sleep! I have one small hen who stays on top of the nesting box all by herself, while 4 big hens continually jocky for space next to the lone rooster on the perch. Lots of perch space (studs), and yet they go for the Guiness World record of how many chickens can fit in the smallest space!

If your roosters are legal and you're obeying any rules about setback from property lines, distance from occupied structures, etc. well, to be blunt, your neighbor can go pound sand
:goodpost:This is what I'm talking about! If you are within your rights, then they can get over it or under it!

It is about 6:30a here. So my partner opened the window again last night. I could barely hear my neighbor's roosters crowing and NOT my silkie at 6:00a. His call is distinct from the neighbor's roosters. They don't have silkies.

Here is the thing. I live right next to the neighbor with roosters and can barely hear his roosters with my windows shut, so I have no issue with his roosters crowing. Even with my windows open, with light music and regular white noise from the house, I had to try hard to hear the other roosters. I guess it just takes ONE cranky neighbor, who lives ACROSS the road, to have an issue and ask us both rehome our roosters.

It is about 6:30a here. So my partner opened the window again last night. I could barely hear my neighbor's roosters crowing and NOT my silkie at 6:00a. His call is distinct from the neighbor's roosters. They don't have silkies.

Here is the thing. I live right next to the neighbor with roosters and can barely hear his roosters with my windows shut, so I have no issue with his roosters crowing. Even with my windows open, with light music and regular white noise from the house, I had to try hard to hear the other roosters. I guess it just takes ONE cranky neighbor, who lives ACROSS the road, to have an issue and ask us both rehome our roosters.
Just stick to your zoning laws. Neighbor can complain all they want. If you are obeying the laws, you're good. I'd just keep your rooster in until 8 am.

I've told this story lots before, so I apologize if you've read it. While waiting for my house to close, I stayed at my mom's with my flock. She lived in an area zoned for chickens, but not roosters. We didn't know that at the time. A neighbor complained. We called the county about the complaint. County guy was super nice. Found out we could keep the rooster inside. Even if the neigh or heard him through an open window, we were ok as long as he was an inside pet. So he lived in the garage at night, got run of the house during the day (in a chicken diaper - lol), and went for walks in the park. My son was so angry at the neighbor, that he would go out in the backyard and cockle-doodle-doo at the top of his lungs just to annoy them. Son also recorded our rooster crowing on his phone and played it while walking the dogs. It was hilarious! Really ironic part is that the girls' egg songs are just as loud as the rooster.

Here, new residents have to sign an affidavit that they acknowledge that we live is a rural/ag area and that they will put up with farm sounds and smells. I about did cartwheels when I read it.

I agree, if you are within the law then the neighbor has to live with it. However, in the interest of neighborhood peace there is an alternative option if you were so inclined. They make no crow collars for roosters. You can buy them on Amazon among other places. They work by not allowing the rooster to fill with air before he crows so thus reducing noise produced. The rooster can still make all his other noises and breath fine just reduced crow volume. We have used these with success in the past. You can also YouTube it to see it work. It's just an option in case. On the subject of crowing at night. All of mine now and in the past will crow at any point night and day. Hope this helps!

I was up at 3:30 AM one morning to let the dogs out and was amazed that every rooster within hearing range including my own were crowing their little one celled brains out. The symphony was pretty impressive.

But we live in a deep rural setting in the middle of Amish farm country so animal noises are expected and mostly enjoyed. After all, it's part of living in the country.

This sign is on my 'get' list. Love it to pieces.
1661002501446.png

Maybe buy one and hang it so the complaining neighbor can read it clearly?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom