Neighbor dog got loose, went after chickens

Something very similar happened to my chickens back in April- Neighbor's dog got after my hens on my property. My neighbor never came by to check on what had happened (he knew that his dog was over at my place and KNEW that I free range my chickens). After penning up the ladies, I drove over to his house and handed his dog to him- I told him to make no mistake, that the next time he heard a gun shot from my property, he may as well throw his dog food away because he wouldn't be needing it any longer. He got a little upset ("you shouldn't free range your chickens etc"). Needless to say, he took me at my word because his dog is now in a kennel with a top on it and hardware cloth buried around it.

Hope your chicken calms down and comes back to the coop soon -

So sorry to hear about the incident, hope it all works out ok
fl.gif
I am new to chicken keeping (about 6 months) and have just built a run around my 2 coops. It's fully enclosed with wire and netting over the top. Neighbors dog came onto our land last week and managed to attack one of out Silkie chicks (she is the tiniest and a bit slow). He caught her between the back of the coop and the wire of the run, she had a badly damaned wing and some cuts. She is doing much better now. My neighbor has 10 acres of her own and was very upset when I told her I would now be adding a fence of barbed wire to the run - worried her dogs might get hurt... unbelievable!
roll.png

Around here you control your animals or someone else will. No problems just the way it is. Hope your hen comes home with the morning light .
fl.gif

he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
That makes me so mad.Some people should not have animals. I pray your poor chicken comes home. I agree with the other posts. It is their fault. You were nicer than me and most. I would have shot it. I don't like to kill anything but don't mess with my animals. You have the right to let your chickens free range. Your property, your right. Please keep us updated on your chicken.
hugs.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Hope you find her the next day. I locked a RSL hen out for the night.Saw her in the am by the coop door. I caught 2 big coons and 3 possums after that incident so she hid and kept mum all night long,lol.

Sounds like you have a new NFH on your hands. I would SSS their dog if it comes to killing it.Even then they might harass you without really knowing how/why the dog disappeared due to your comment.

I agree that you were in the right.They should harness the dog onto the vehicle or run it along side on a leash.

Quote:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein

Its incredible how ignorant some people are, no?

What will it take for people to understand they are their own animal control? How many losses do they need to have it driven into their head for them to understand?

I lose one chicken to a loose dog, somebody loses one dog. I have no tolerance level for dogs on the run without owner oversite. That's the way I play good neighbor bad neighbor. By the way, I am retired so when my chickens are out on my place scratching around and just being chickens, I'm outside also working in the yard or whatever, with my little .22 Ruger.

Last edited:
I'm not home every day, but most of my neighbor's are. And all of them are armed.

My neighbor next door had a pointer mix dog that his kids had dumped on him and never taken home. He tried several times to contain the dog, but she was a climber. He came over and told me "Don't worry about her anymore" He had taken her out and shot her himself because "no one wants to deal with a chicken-killing dog"

My neighbor down the street averages almost a dog a month. He lives on the same side of the highway as the trailer park, so he gets more of their dogs than I do. He's even had them trying to break through the sliding glass door because they can see the cats inside.

Back
Top Bottom