Neighbor dog killed all 6 of our backyard chickens

AtHomeDaddy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Austin, TX
We had 6 eight week old hens. 3 Buff Orps, 3 Light Brahmas. Our 4 year old Great Pyrenees dog had been a perfect gentleman around the birds. I had let my guard down and quit worrying about him being in the yard while the birds were loose.

Tonight I went out to clean the coop and to get everyone ready for bed when I found the remains of all 6 birds. Most were near the coop. One had made it back into the coop. She was the only one not eaten.

I can't believe that this is the same mild mannered dog that has let the chicks crawl all over him during nap times.

Dang it.

Last edited:
I am so sorry! I know exactly how you feel. We got hit last night by coyotes and there had to be something else too. Maybe a fox. All but one hen was lost. Did you hatch these little ones too?
hit.gif

sorry for your loss. I have had that happen but not six at one time. hope it works out better for you in the future.

I am so sorry, what an awful tragedy.

Are you absolutely sure it was your dog that did it? Just want to make sure you aren't blaming him for some other predator.

That's a good point...maybe there was another predator in the yard. If it was your dog maybe something sparked his prey drive. I have a dal/lab mix that gets over excited sometimes when chasing my other dogs and hurts them. It's like she can't control herself sometimes. I don't know but I am really sorry it happened to ya..had to really stink.
sad.png

Thanks, guys.

We didn't hatch these girls, but bought them as 2 day olds. So we have literally watched them grow. This is our first chicken experience as a family. And they were really becoming neighborhood celebrities.

Our kids, 4 and 6 are sad and mad at their dog. So are mommy and daddy.

I wanted the kids to start getting a better idea of where food comes from and how much work our ancestors used to do as farmers. All along we had talked about predators and things that might hurt a chick or cause sickness. The fact that chickens might die has been discussed but for it to really happen is another thing completely for the kids.

We had been watching the dog closely until a week or so ago. I guess this was his first, best chance to snack.

The kids went to bed asking if we would get more chicks this weekend. I think we will wait until spring, to give me time to figure out a way to keep dog separate from the chickens.

As far as it being my dog, it is a little odd. He is a white Great Pyr and there isn't a spot of blood on him. But he is sulking around like a guilty dog and I can't imagine that another animal would challenge Kodak in his own yard.

I walked the 6 foot tall privacy fence and can't find any evidence that some other animal came into the yard. Unfortunately leaving Kodak to take the blame.

Last edited:
* That's awful, bad enough when it's a "regular" predator. Hate it when it's you own dog. I know I can't trust mine. She barks when something is in the pen at night, but if she ever got the chance. . . Adios, gallinas!!!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom