Neighbor dogs

unless your animal shelter is run by your town or county's animal control office they may not be of much help. In my area we have to "make a donation" to drop off a dog at the shelter and they will not come out and capture dogs, they may be able to give you a suggestion on how to proceed but your best bet is informing the neighbor that you don't want the dogs on your property or notifying the authorities. If your parents won't let you do that or shoot the dogs then I fear you may not have many options. People don't generally like to cause problems with neighbors, but most people are generally decent and will understand that it is unacceptable for their dogs to attack other's animals. But then you have those who feel "it's only a chicken" or "it's only a goat" and their dog's lives are somehow more important. Getting your own dogs is also an option but then you have to deal with the responsibility of having the dog, and keeping your dog on your property, if you don't want their dogs around you can't very well be letting your own dogs roam, and you don't want dogs that will attack the other dogs if you like the dogs and simply want them to stay away from your property. You could also try some sort of non lethal method like shooting them with a paintball gun, which will hurt some but not injure or kill the dogs and it may teach them to stay away from your place, or spraying them with the hose when they come around, most dogs hate that. But I doubt it would deter them from their drive to chase your animals for the long run, they would just become more sneaky and learn to come around when you are not out and about.

It is so sad that people don't knew how to be neighborly any more. Why are laws and rights the fist thing brought up ? that should be one of the last.
Just be cause you are 14 dose NOT mean you cant talk to an adult.
Some times you have to take the first step to be a neighbor, go talk to your neighbor

Laws and rights are brought up because people who let dogs roam are violating the law and the rights of others, and usually it takes the law to remedy the situation. I am sure the neighbor knows there are chickens and other livestock around and if they had common sense they would wonder if their dogs are bothering them. I agree there is nothing wrong with talking to the neighbor but there is at least a 50-50 chance that will do absolutely nothing, then it is time to use the law to protect your rights.

Your parents should call the police, sheriff, whatever is appropriate in your area.
I can see them wanting you to be responsible and you have researched it, but they should be making the phone call or communicating with the neighbor.

There is also a 50/50 chance that some thing will be done
Some time some one has to take the first step to be a good neighbor
when you start talking the law to some one you are also implying a threat and that is not taking the first step to being a good neighbor
I think the glass is halve full some think it is halve empty

Would your parents consider livestock guardian dogs? I have two Central Asian Shepherds for my small holding of a dozen birds & 2 goats. My co-breeder has two Central Asians as well as 3 Anatolian Shepherd/Pyr crosses for her herd of 12 goats, 2 horses, 2 cattle, & multiple chickens & guineas. We have never had a single animal lost or injured by a predator, including neighbors' loose pet dogs.

~~~
Anna and Co.
Thunder Mountain Central Asian Shepherd Dogs
Working Livestock Guardian & Personal Protection Dogs
https://www.facebook.com/ThunderMountainCentralAsianShepherdDogs

Getting a dog isn't an option for me... It's a very intriguing idea though. My mom doesn't want and won't get any more dogs :(

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice for my very troubling situation. I am considering going over to my neighbors house and letting them know that their dogs have become a nusence, and see if they take responsible actions and keep their dogs on their own property. If they continue to let their dogs loose, I will talk to my dad about the possibility of just shooting the dogs and be done with it. That or take them to the pound or the animal shelter.

I'll see if my neighbors are home tomorrow, and I'll talk to them.

There is also a 50/50 chance that some thing will be done
Some time some one has to take the first step to be a good neighbor
when you start talking the law to some one you are also implying a threat and that is not taking the first step to being a good neighbor
I think the glass is halve full some think it is halve empty
I believe the first step to being a good neighbor is keeping your mutts on your own property and not letting them continually harass other's pets and livestock, tear up garbage, stand in front of their house and bark all night, crap in their yard etc. Most people who allow animals to do this in the first place are not good neighbors by anyones standards and deserve to have the law brought against them or their dogs shot. I honestly could care less about being a good neighbor to a person like that.

I am not saying talking to them is a bad idea, just some people are non-confrontational and prefer not to get involved with the person, especially if they know the guy to be a problem. It is the duty of law enforcement to do this in that situation. Most cases the officers will simply explain the laws and the consequences and give a warning or 2, if the issue continues then there will be consequences which are well deserved.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice for my very troubling situation. I am considering going over to my neighbors house and letting them know that their dogs have become a nusence, and see if they take responsible actions and keep their dogs on their own property. If they continue to let their dogs loose, I will talk to my dad about the possibility of just shooting the dogs and be done with it. That or take them to the pound or the animal shelter.

I'll see if my neighbors are home tomorrow, and I'll talk to them.
Hopefully this is solved before you lose any animals or have vet bills to contend with, maybe if that does happen your parents will see the seriousness of the situation and be more inclined to speak up for you. You are doing good to look into this and as far as I am concerned could use some help/support from the responsible adults in the situation. Good luck.

I'm really sorry to hear your story. People need to restrain their animals. That's just plain rude, and probably against the law; even my county has a county wide leash law and it is pretty lame otherwise insofar as having any animal laws. Since you mention your family is renting this property, maybe the landlord would speak to the neighbor?

With no wish to offend, I must say that is it inappropriate for your parents to expect you to deal with this on your own. It would be fine to say let's build a good sturdy chicken tractor and you have to help, but this is a problem that requires adult leadership, in my opinion. They should first speak nicely to the neighbor about what's going on and make it clear that the dogs can't be on your place or there will be consequences, i.e. they'll be taken to the pound, or whatever.

We had a neighbor who let their dog loose all the time and it tried to kill out chickens one day. Luckily our rooster did his job and we intervened in time to save him; my husband fired a shot in the air and the dog ran off. Before this incident, I had actually driven their dog home a few times, and told them he was at our place and I didn't want him to get hit by a car or anything. So, they knew it was a repeating issue. My husband went down there and politely told them that if something like that happened again, he very well might shoot their dog. They were nice, apologized, offered to buy a new rooster if ours died, but they didn't keep the dog locked up. Finally, someone did shoot their dog and it wasn't us, but I'm sure they think it was, so now they keep him tied up.

This is an adult problem and it's something your parents really need to take charge of, dealing with the neighbor, talking with the authorities, etc. I understand they want you to be responsible, but this isn't something a minor should be handling.

Back
Top Bottom