Neighbor dumped gasoline in yard, now chickens are dying, HELP!

Quote:
Uhmmmm...I don't think there's any need for that.
wink.png
hmm.png

As for the op, I must agree with Purple Chicken.
thumbsup.gif
I would also be outraged if someone did that to my property,
somad.gif
but since they are already gone it's not worth trying to find them again and get them to pay for it and everything.
hu.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and sorry for the loss of your chickens.
hugs.gif

Exactly what PurpleChicken said. With the further information, my guess is that the chickens might have taken a drink of the gasoline tainted water and since the gasoline would have been on top, got just enough to poison them. People have been using gasoline to burn trash, kill ants and all kinds of things that they shouldn't since the discovery of oil. The problem was probably when the gas was on top of the water. I would be slightly concerned that if water stands there again, it might happen again. If nothing else, I would probably move the chickens out while I cleaned the coop by putting down an absorbant material for such things and disposing of it properly. I don't know what to use, but maybe someone else on this sight might know. I'm glad they aren't your neighbors anymore and I really feel sorry for the people they move in next to. Please tell me they didn't move to South Texas!!!

Quote:
I have to agree with PC on this one. By calling in any type of enforcement you could be opening Pandora's box. It may have an ugly backlash effect.

I recommend only based upon what I would do, which is to remove the top 4-6 inches of soil and put in some sand. I did lose a rooster last week and the best guess was the heat combined with the really high humidity, so yes, that can happen, too.

Glad the folks have moved on, and hope all your other birds live many years.

I'm not sure I agree with PurpleChicken. We moved into our neighborhood about 16 years ago. There had been a service station about a block away some years before, and a small spill occurred on that property long before we moved here. The service station lot was totally decommissioned years prior to our moving here. The EPA investigated and kept deep wells in the neighborhood to track the movement of toxins. Just a month or two ago, they removed a huge amount of the yard of the house closest to the spill area, and replaced it with fresh soil. They would not have done this if it wasn't still a hazard after all these years.
Firstly, how do you really know that it was only one gallon? Secondly, how long will it really take to disperse? Thirdly, do you really want these people to do similar things wherever they have moved to? I know I don't want them close to me.
I would be concerned enough to do testing on the soil.

Quote:
good thinkin' PC
smile.png

I think this is one of those situations where only the OP could really know the right direction to procede... Maybe call the folks and let them know about the aftermath and your concerns.. hopefully, that will be enough to wake them up an they won't do this again. I don't think a gallon of gasoline will do that much damage. Call the local health department and ask.. anonymously
hide.gif

Last edited:
Gasoline contains many toxins, one of the hardest to clean up that is used here is MTBE. It is many lakes, ponds and wells here. It was intended to help fuel burn better and limit smog. If I come across a gas spill I put speedi-dry on it. It's dried chips of clay that absord it and then we walk away or the town pays a company to get rid of the clay bits after they absord the gas. If its a huge spill I get a highway truck full of sand. Sand and dirt drink it in and then an environmental company comes and hauls away the sand. The state or town pay the environmental company or the person who spilled it does.

In your case, the dirt has already drank in the toxins and now its headed for your ground water/well. If on a well you need it tested now. Everytime your chickens scratch they may be getting another dose in the lungs. Calling the officials or a private environmental company is the legal way to go but, could get expensive. Even though you didnt do it, you may get billed.

If you didn't follow the rules and report it you could get in big trouble for illegal dumping etc... however that said.... someone might just have a big teenager in the family dig up the area and place the dirt in doubled up plastic trash bags. What you do with the trash bags then is the big question
roll.png

Here is a brief explanation of how deadly gasoline:
http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/TOXINS/gasoline.htm

"There are several known toxins in gasoline, some of which are confirmed human carcinogens[aka cancer causing]. The most famous of these toxins are lead and benzene, and both are regulated. Lead alkyls also require ethylene dibromide and/or ethylene dichloride scavengers to be added to the gasoline, both of which are suspected human carcinogens. In 1993 an International Symposium on the Health Effects of Gasoline was held, and major review papers on the carcinogenic, neurotoxic, reproductive and developmental toxicity of gasoline, additives, and oxygenates were presented. Oxygenates, added to gasoline for the purpose of reducing carbon monoxide emissions, are also being evaluated to see if they are cancer-causing agents. Engines without catalysts will produce increased levels of toxic emissions such as formaldehyde and acrolein when using oxygenated fuels, and increased levels of toxic benzene when using highly aromatic fuels. "

Back
Top Bottom