Neighbor feeding chickens?

chestypuller

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Alaska
I was wondering if i should be conserned about recently ive noticed my neighbor throwing birdsead over our fence, my laying hens run over and eat it up, now they have been running to the fence everytime they hear anyone, should i be worried about them trying to escape because of another feeding hole?

We are on a fairly busy cudlesac and im worried now they might try to get out ( they never have before) and get hurt.

Or is this ok for a neighbor to do. I was hoping she would run out of seed but its been a few days in a row now a couple times a day!

May sound a touch cranky but they shouldn't be feeding your birds a thing without having consulted with you first. I don't know if it will cause an issue but clearly basing on what your saying it's creating a habit, i would speak with the neighbour whether you choose to let them feed them is up to you but i think some basic arrangement should be made.

I already know my opinion will be in the minority. They won't look for an escape. I would leave it alone unless she is feeding something dangerous. I don't know what, I feed my chickens all kinds of snacks. The relationship with said neighbor needs to be considered too. Is she feeding your chickens because it gives them pleasure to watch your chickens? If you ask them to refrain, will it cause an irreconcilable rift?

I think I would just be glad to have a neighbor that isn't grumpy about the chickens. Odd that she didn't ask first, but maybe excitement got in the way. I doubt they'll try to escape since she's tossing the seed in. I would maybe use it as an opportunity to get to know her better, and thank her for taking an interest. I'm probably a little more relaxed than most people, though, since my family and friends drop by to give the chickens treats and sometimes don't even bother to come in and say hello to me!

This is a wacky neighbor we have had small problems with before, when i was installing a fence she kept taking it down when we would leave even tho i asked her not to remove my fence posts, she thought it was on her property, and another problem i had with her was she had placed dog food into our yard, i take really good care of lawn and landscaping and she doesnt even mow but maybe 1 or 2 times a year, so i dont know but i think she may have been trying to sabotage our yard somehow but it could be my paranoia from my PSTD in the Marines.

Another thing was she had a huge tent structure on her driveway for a year and was parking in my well taken care if lawn in the spring when it was soft, and that promped the fence.

Im not sure if i trust her or if its me over reacting becuase of my untrusting paranoia.

I like to give people the benifit of doulbt, but dont want anything to happen.

Well that certainly changes my view on it! Considering the past issues I would definitely tell her not to feed them. And perhaps attach something to the top of the fence to keep her from tossing without permission. I once knew a man who put plexiglass panels along the top of his fence to keep the neighbor kids from having to wait for him to get home to retrieve their balls. Expensive, but you hardly noticed it was there.

If she's an older woman, she may have mental problems such as dementia or Alzheimer's.

I would try to talk to her and see if you can fish out the reason for her feeding them. Hoping it's just harmless interest in the birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom