Neighbor Has A New Dog. Our Chickens Attacked Twice in Three Days

Chickens are livestock as far as predation is concerned, and I'd want these folks to pay up. It doesn't replace those individuals, but hitting them in the wallet may help. Consider electrified poultry netting, from Premier1supplies.com. For perimeter fencing, 4' goat fencing (4" diameter openings) on steel posts, with electric tape on top, or four strand electric with a very good fence charger. That dog would find himself at another shelter, if they won't manage him. Mary

You have taken the high road @CapeReds and I applaud you for it. Hopefully your neighbour will come out and help you with the fence. In the name of good neighbourhood relations, you deserve a trophy.

The down side of not reporting them, however, is that they will never learn to be responsible dog owners and while you may have solved your own problem, the dog will probably go somewhere else and wreak havoc. You will be teaching your neighbours, that if you ignore a problem, somebody else will fix it for you. At least ask them to help you with the cost of the fence so that they don't get off Scott free.

Thanks IceAngel. Folly's Place advice was inspiring. The idea of an electric fence sounds really great, Much cheaper and less obtrusive. I admit it's a bit passive aggressive, but that's ok with me. We have coyotes too and an electric fence will help there too. Only downside is that I hope it doesn't hurt the hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom