NEIGHBOR & PIT BULL TROUBLES! Any Suggestions for protection?

Im sorry for you chicken loss! this is aweful! I would say to take the dogs to the pound yourself but I would be afraid to approach a strange dog....my hubbie said to try a bb gun or even a paintball gun.

I shoot bottle rockets at any dog that step one foot on my property, it has always sent them running and none have ever come back .
If that don't work i will resort to SSS .

You might also want to consider fencing your property and/or building a run to attach to your coop. They can be kept in there until the threat of the dogs is eliminated. I know your chickens free range - so do mine. But I do have a run for them to be in if I'm going to be gone for awhile or if my son brings his golden retriever over, and when the bald eagles are migrating through. No, they're not necessarily happy about it, but it is my responsibility to keep them safe if I feel there is a threat. I know, it's not right that we should have to go out of our way to protect our animals on our property from irresponsible dog owning neighbors, but if you're going to keep an animal that is at the bottom of the food chain, you need to make a place to keep them safe when they need it.

Here are a couple things from California Consolidated dog laws.
(Please verify these. Fresno County Sheriff would be a good source)

Food and Agricultural Code (Formerly Agricultural Code). Division 14. Regulation and Licensing of Dogs. Chapter 4. Regulation.

§ 30955. Running at large on farm prohibited; exceptions
It is unlawful for any person to permit any dog which is owned, harbored, or controlled by him to run at large on any farm on which livestock or domestic fowls are kept, without the consent of the owner of the farm, except for herding livestock, hunting or sporting purposes, or any competitive trials when the dog is within reasonable control or call of his owner or the agent of his owner.

Food and Agricultural Code (Formerly Agricultural Code). Division 14. Regulation and Licensing of Dogs. Chapter 5. Killing and Seizure. Article 1. Generally.

§ 31102. Conditions involving livestock or poultry that permit the killing of a dog
Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:
(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.
(b) The person has such proof as conclusively shows that the dog has been recently engaged in killing or wounding livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the dog's owner.
No action, civil or criminal, shall be maintained for the killing of any such dog.

On a personal note, I am a dog lover. Have 3 labs and an American English Coonhound, but I say shoot the dogs with something other then a gun that will scare or 'sting' them, laws or not. I agree with the above post and to make a run for when you are away, but I don't feel that you should have to build something to protect against those dogs.

Last edited:
Quote:
I suspect this will always be an issue unless you can lay down the law right now and lay it down hard. If they drive through your place to get to theirs, could make things tougher in one regard.

Never approach a strange dog, especially a large and powerful one. Best keep a distance and deal with it that way.

Last edited:
Ok i have 35 two month old pullets and my neighbor s dog has killed 7 of my hens and by law in Maryland after a second FARM animal is killed by a dog IF the dog is on ur property u can kill it as long as u give it to the owner so it can be buried or whatever they want to do with it. Look at the law in ur state to make sure.

I dont see anything like that in the Maryland statutes:

§ 11-505. When dog killing permitted
Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, attacking, wounding or killing any poultry or livestock, or attacking human beings whether or not such dog bears the proper license tag required by these provisions. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

where we are moving to there is a BIG pit over there and I was wondering the same thing. thanks for the advise everybody!
hugs.gif
sorry about your losses...

I've had the same issue with my neighboor for three years. From getting into the trash to biting my pigs, chasing my goats, and killing my chickens. I tried to be nice and warn him and trap and return his dog. I finally killed one of his dogs and it helped for about three months. Then his dogs started returning again.

I wish I could say shooting one does the trick but it didn't in my case he had more to turn loose.

From now on I am going to try and catch them and take them to the pound. Then he can pay to get the dog out.

Last edited:
A simple and safe solution is to invest in some electric poultry netting for your girl's free ranging needs. $164 will buy you 164 ft x 42 in. of Electrostop (bottom strand is the ground, so no grounding rod needed) with the posts already attached. This gives them a 41x41ft run that can be moved around to give areas of grass a rest. No coyote or dog is going to go through this stuff...it has some major juice to it, even though mine is only hooked to a small solar charger. My dog doesn't feel much pain of any kind and it made him scream... and he won't come near it now.

And, yes....SSS any further canine intruders, even with the fence in place. All the neighbors need to know is that every time they get a dog it strangely disappears...eventually they will stop getting dogs or they will keep favorite dogs at home.

Back
Top Bottom