Neighbor Problems

drseth

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
USA
Hi,

I am new to the forum, but have had a small flock for going on two years now. I live in a rural county on about 2 acres, and I like to turn out my ten chickens to free range for a few hours, but it seems my neighbors on one side of me wants to make a big deal about the few times my chickens go over to his yard and scratch pine straw from some of his bushes. I have kept them supplied with eggs, spent time showing their grandkids the chickens, etc., but they still are making a federal case of the incursion. I told them I would rake after them, and I try to keep them in my yard, but sometimes, they escape from captivity and then I can't get them back in until they are ready. The neighbors don't seem to understand.

The property line shared by us is over 500 feet long, so it is not going to be cheap to put up the fence. The neighbors also have taken advantage of my by growing an herb garden in my yard, using my burn pile, drive their cars in my yard, walk through my yard to the neighbors on the other side, etc. I told them they could use my burn pile, but one evening last summer, I came home after dark and noticed the glow of a fire in my backyard!!! I did not know if it was one of my boats or one of my outbuildings, but it was my chicken-hating neighbor, standing by the burn pile, which washad flames that were 15 to 20 feet high. He did not ask me if it was ok or anything. To make matters worse, the man is an retired Episcopal Priest. I asked him how he would feel if he came home and I had set something in his yard on fire? His reply was that maybe he should have called me!!! No apology at all!!!

What should I do, short of moving? I am thinking privacy fence.....

Seth Anderson
Moon, VA

You already know you have to fence, but it still sucks that you have too.

You'll be better off in the long run anyway.

Edited to add: I would also pay for a survey of the property line before I ran the fence.

Last edited:
the neighbor might feel the same way about you getting mad over the things hes doing, that maybe you are overreacting..i would just build a run for the chickens so that he wont get mad about them being in his yard, and then set some boundaries on what they do in yours.
big_smile.png

You have to put a fence along that line, sorry. And it doesn't have to be expensive unless you have some covenants that say the fence must be wood. If it's fairly level, I'd use U-posts and put a welded wire fence along there. I used that, plus livestock fencing/field fencing to perimeter fence a large portion of my property to keep my own girls in and off the neighbor's property. It's very do-able and seems you really need to do that. Just make sure where your exact property line is.

If you don't keep your birds in your yard you don't have a leg to stand on.Fence them in.A fence nomatter how high should make it harder for your neighbor to cross.He'll get the message. Will

I have kept the issues with the neighbors use of my property to myself, except the time he lit a fire in my yard without even asking or anything. Last spring he drove his camper van through my yard so that he could have the rear of his van at his side door. The ground was wet and he came knocking on my door because he was stuck in my yard!!! He made some nice ruts!!! I got my tractor out and pulled him out, not saying a thing about why he thought he could drive in my yard whenever he felt like it.

I already have a recent survey, so I know where the line is. I have written a letter to send to him, along with the survey showing the property line. I don't know if I will send it to him. It is pretty mean-spirited, which is not how I like to be, but this issue has been been made into a big deal to him. They have wandered over to his yard maybe 10 or 12 times in the past two years total. I am sure you know that sometimes chickens will dart out the gate when it is opened to feed or water them. Short of a fence, there is no way I can ensure they will not wander over there. I have even told him that if they bothered him that much, he could shoot them!!! Last year he called and asked if I could show the chickens to his grandkids. I spent a half hour or so making over the kids, giving them eggs, etc., and later the same day he made a comment about the chickens being over in his yard!!!!

Do electric fences work with chickens? Should it be three or four wires, sort of like how it is done with cows and horses?

Sounds like the fence is gonna benefit you a lot too....don't send the letter if its mean, just put up the fence and maybe he will see how fortunate he was to have a neighbor that let him share the yard.

But mostly, you will have done what you need to do to be the responsible neighbor. I wouldn't go out of my way to talk to him anymore and I definitely wouldn't give him anymore eggs!

~Rebecca

I don't understand why no one ever suggests that you have a frank conversation with your neighbor. It can be awkward but it could also save time and expense. Tell him you're OK with him using the burn pile and sometimes going through your yard if he's OK with the chickens going in his yard now and then. Make it clear that you have issues too but they can easily be resolved if you come to a mutual agreement.

Also, as others have said, a fence sounds like a good idea.

Keep us posted and good luck.

It's time for a fence!!!! No explanation, just put up a fence. Stops the neighbor taking advantage of you (because he's a retired preacher and does no wrong) and helps keep the chickens in your yard. Don't get me wrong, I'm a good church goer. but there are folks out there that feels they are "owed" .? You've been an exceptional neighbor. Now just put up the fence. Stop the egg giving, perhaps he may notice what he has lost. I doubt he will. but you will have peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom