Neighbor problems

Quote:
This is the best advice I've seen yet!
thumbsup.gif
I would seriously consider doing exactly what PortageGirl is suggesting.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Too many jerks nowdays think they can tell others what they can and can't do on THEIR property. Its my dadgum tree and I'll cut it down if/when I feel like it. Its my rooster and he can crow anytime he gets the urge. And if you don't like it MOVE!
On the other hand WE have to be the kind of neighbor we would want to have.

Quote:
The 'people of color' clause is not enforced and in the 20 years I've lived here, I believe they were even 'stuck down' by a county board as not enforcable, illegal, etc. So that would never be enforced.
I was just saying the document is not something I respect and I crossed out parts of it before I signed it when I moved in many many years ago.

You crossing them out does not necessarily mean that you are not bound by them since you did sign the paper.

There has been county or state legislation directly addressing these items in the CCR, believe me, no one is going to try to enforce those. I only mention them to show the stupidity of the CCRs and I had totally disregarded and forgotten about them.

Quote:
Law enforcement's job is to ENFORCE THE PEACE. Vigilantes ignore that and try to enforce their opinion of what is legal themselves.

HUH??!!
Enforce the peace???!! They try real hard to enforce THE LAW, nowhere in their job description does is tell them they have to enforce the peace..........they already have enough to do without refereeing neighbor disputes. Enforcing the peace sounds kinda...........well, dictatorial. Iran tries real hard to enforce the peace, along with every other despot. Enforcing the peace is ridiculous and impossible. Unless you're willing to bust a few heads in the process.

You're splitting hairs. You are saying that people need to take disputes into their own hands, which can lead to a violent confrontation. Yes, a peaceful disagreement can sometimes be worked out between amicable neighbors who simply disagree, but depending on the particular people involved it can also escalate into something beyond peaceful. The neighbor in this case sounds very confrontational; they type who just might go beyond peaceful. I do not know either of the people involved, and I would assume that neither do you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_officer
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_States
Police functions

Textbooks and scholars have identified three primary police agency functions. The following is cited from The American System of Criminal Justice, by George F. Cole and Christopher E. Smith, 2004, 10th edition, Wadsworth/Thomson Learning:

Order maintenance. This is the broad mandate to keep the peace or otherwise prevent behaviors which might disturb others. This can deal with things ranging from a barking dog to a fist-fight. By way of description, Cole and Smith note that police are usually called-on to "handle" these situations with discretion, rather than deal with them as strict violations of law, though of course their authority to deal with these situations are based in violations of law.

Law enforcement. Those powers are typically used only in cases where the law has been violated and a suspect must be identified and apprehended. Most obvious instances include robbery, murder, or burglary. This is the popular notion of the main police function, but the frequency of such activity is dependent on geography and season.

Service. Services may include rendering first aid, providing tourist information, guiding the disoriented, or acting as educators (on topics such as preventing drug use). Cole and Smith cited one study which showed 80% of all calls for police assistance did not involve crimes, but this may not be the case in all parts of the country. Because police agencies are traditionally available year-round, 24 hours a day, citizens call upon police departments not only in times of trouble, but also when just inconvenienced. As a result, police services may include roadside auto assistance, providing referrals to other agencies, finding lost pets or property, or checking locks on vacationers' homes.​

I'm going to start a 'free chicks to anyone in the neighborhood' campaign.
I'll give away chicks to anyone in my CCR area who wants to have backyard chickens.

Hope I can come up with enough hatching eggs, especially since I have to give up my rooster (it really is not legal in the county to have a rooster, they have just recently passed this).
big_smile.png

Quote:
Notify the ACLU and sue your country for sexual discrimination. Why do people think a rooster's crow is a bad thing?? I know, I'm preaching this to the choir.

Quote:
HUH??!!
Enforce the peace???!! They try real hard to enforce THE LAW, nowhere in their job description does is tell them they have to enforce the peace..........they already have enough to do without refereeing neighbor disputes. Enforcing the peace sounds kinda...........well, dictatorial. Iran tries real hard to enforce the peace, along with every other despot. Enforcing the peace is ridiculous and impossible. Unless you're willing to bust a few heads in the process.

You're splitting hairs. You are saying that people need to take disputes into their own hands, which can lead to a violent confrontation. Yes, a peaceful disagreement can sometimes be worked out between amicable neighbors who simply disagree, but depending on the particular people involved it can also escalate into something beyond peaceful. The neighbor in this case sounds very confrontational; they type who just might go beyond peaceful. I do not know either of the people involved, and I would assume that neither do you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_officer
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_States
Police functions

Textbooks and scholars have identified three primary police agency functions. The following is cited from The American System of Criminal Justice, by George F. Cole and Christopher E. Smith, 2004, 10th edition, Wadsworth/Thomson Learning:

Order maintenance. This is the broad mandate to keep the peace or otherwise prevent behaviors which might disturb others. This can deal with things ranging from a barking dog to a fist-fight. By way of description, Cole and Smith note that police are usually called-on to "handle" these situations with discretion, rather than deal with them as strict violations of law, though of course their authority to deal with these situations are based in violations of law.

Law enforcement. Those powers are typically used only in cases where the law has been violated and a suspect must be identified and apprehended. Most obvious instances include robbery, murder, or burglary. This is the popular notion of the main police function, but the frequency of such activity is dependent on geography and season.

Service. Services may include rendering first aid, providing tourist information, guiding the disoriented, or acting as educators (on topics such as preventing drug use). Cole and Smith cited one study which showed 80% of all calls for police assistance did not involve crimes, but this may not be the case in all parts of the country. Because police agencies are traditionally available year-round, 24 hours a day, citizens call upon police departments not only in times of trouble, but also when just inconvenienced. As a result, police services may include roadside auto assistance, providing referrals to other agencies, finding lost pets or property, or checking locks on vacationers' homes.

Ok, let's not go down the path of legal escalations, whether I have the right to defend my property etc and to what lenghts. I do not wish to escalate the violence or 'shows of strength' I will not let this guy talk to me again, I'll just walk away saying unless you are here to apologize we have nothing to discuss and then no other talking. If he persists, I may have my 6'4" brother pay him a visit to say stop trying to bully my sister. I will ignore him, deal with the neighborhood association, call the cops if he comes on my property with violent intent, meaning if he goes anywhere except the front door. He is not welcome in my backyard at all.
And as I said above, I will investigate getting the CCRs updated. I hear they update them every ten years so it may be time soon.
In the meantime, I will try to get as many people raising chickens in the neighborhood as I can.
I will give chicks to anyone who wants to start.
I just have to figure out how to do that. I know a few folks who have them now (3 on my block and 1 bee keeper), so I will talk to them as well re getting the CCRs changed.

Thanks for your support.

By all means do not escalate. If the restriction has been routinely ignored for a period of time without any effort at enforcement, then it would likely be ruled invalid. One cannot selectively enforce a rule; must either enforce it or not, fairly. This is part of due process.

By all means update the CC&Rs. Make sure that they meet legal requirements (such as getting rid of the section that allows racial discrimination).

Back
Top Bottom