Neighbor rooster hurt one of the babies (help!)

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but roosters will rape young pullets. As in, she's too young to understand what to do and the roo will hurt her to force compliance.
Some roosters are less than gentlemen.
I have a standard of behavior for roos I keep, and one of the top concerns is that they aren't rough on adult hens and don't try to force pullets. My best, most paternal rooster leaves them alone until they're laying.
The girls are ready for this stuff when they lay eggs. That's when their hormones are at the right levels to give them understanding of what's happening and what they should do.
Until then they're just scared babies.
Once they learn through pain of being grabbed by their feathers that the roo will be mean, they often avoid shared spaces including feed sources... which can lead to behaviors like starving themselves, running away to hide where you can't get them, and startling into hard surfaces.

The best thing for your ladies is to be protected from an amorous roo until they're laying. A fence would help. If you choose to let them fraternize as adults, be on the lookout for signs of rough treatment like missing feathers and screeching hens. Since he's a RIR there's a higher than normal chance of him being the mean sort.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but roosters will rape young pullets. As in, she's too young to understand what to do and the roo will hurt her to force compliance.
Some roosters are less than gentlemen.
I have a standard of behavior for roos I keep, and one of the top concerns is that they aren't rough on adult hens and don't try to force pullets. My best, most paternal rooster leaves them alone until they're laying.
The girls are ready for this stuff when they lay eggs. That's when their hormones are at the right levels to give them understanding of what's happening and what they should do.
Until then they're just scared babies.
Once they learn through pain of being grabbed by their feathers that the roo will be mean, they often avoid shared spaces including feed sources... which can lead to behaviors like starving themselves, running away to hide where you can't get them, and startling into hard surfaces.

The best thing for your ladies is to be protected from an amorous roo until they're laying. A fence would help. If you choose to let them fraternize as adults, be on the lookout for signs of rough treatment like missing feathers and screeching hens. Since he's a RIR there's a higher than normal chance of him being the mean sort.
Thanks for the info. I am hoping he isn't going to be mean mean. Just maybe a tad loving. 😅 Also might be because he was raised an only chicken. Apparently my neighbors had 3 chickens. Colonel and two hens. The hens ran away, and since then he has been alone for over a year.

Any way to make him respect the chicken boundaries? Aside from them never seeing each other face to face, and only behind a fence. We have a rooster but he is only about 3 weeks old or so. He is a Light Brahma. We also have another possible rooster, a silkie, but I am thinking it's a pullet. At 5 weeks old I have no idea lol.

Thanks for the info. I am hoping he isn't going to be mean mean. Just maybe a tad loving. 😅 Also might be because he was raised an only chicken. Apparently my neighbors had 3 chickens. Colonel and two hens. The hens ran away, and since then he has been alone for over a year.

Any way to make him respect the chicken boundaries? Aside from them never seeing each other face to face, and only behind a fence. We have a rooster but he is only about 3 weeks old or so. He is a Light Brahma. We also have another possible rooster, a silkie, but I am thinking it's a pullet. At 5 weeks old I have no idea lol.

I'll tell you the words that stuck in my head from a long-ago conversation. Sue was an experienced farmer with her husband, and they had chickens for many years. They used to sell the eggs at church. So, we were very excited to tell them when we got into chickens. Laughing, we joked about how three of them were turning into roosters.
She didn't laugh.
With a sorrowful frown, Sue said "Oh those poor hens!"

Years later, with a lot of time observing the birds, I know exactly what she meant.
Behaviors that look light or amusing to us can actually be hiding real negativity.
Think about the 3 Stooges. Falling down and whacking each other was supposed to be funny. But those same behaviors could also be horrifying. It depends how you look at it. And no matter what, we can only look on from the outside. So, we don't know exactly what it's like to be a chicken, but the longer I observe them the more I am convinced that small decisions on our part create huge effects in their lives.

Can you train the rooster to behave better towards hens/pullets? No. Separation is the only way to keep the babies safe.
Odds are that any aggression he's been sitting on will rise to the surface in the presence of females. Also, there's a high chance he may become aggressive towards people based on some of the behavior you described. I wasn't going to say anything too soon, but you really should know to be on the lookout.
Like many of us, you may have to learn the hard way. It's not natural for humans to think male / female ratios can be such a bad thing. But nature meant for those boys and to get eaten while they boldly explore, so more of the pullets would survive. In the wild, one rooster will win the flock of hens, and he can't be nasty to them or they will leave in search of another flock.
I hope this helps you, and doesn't come off any tougher than what Sue said to us.

I'll tell you the words that stuck in my head from a long-ago conversation. Sue was an experienced farmer with her husband, and they had chickens for many years. They used to sell the eggs at church. So, we were very excited to tell them when we got into chickens. Laughing, we joked about how three of them were turning into roosters.
She didn't laugh.
With a sorrowful frown, Sue said "Oh those poor hens!"

Years later, with a lot of time observing the birds, I know exactly what she meant.
Behaviors that look light or amusing to us can actually be hiding real negativity.
Think about the 3 Stooges. Falling down and whacking each other was supposed to be funny. But those same behaviors could also be horrifying. It depends how you look at it. And no matter what, we can only look on from the outside. So, we don't know exactly what it's like to be a chicken, but the longer I observe them the more I am convinced that small decisions on our part create huge effects in their lives.

Can you train the rooster to behave better towards hens/pullets? No. Separation is the only way to keep the babies safe.
Odds are that any aggression he's been sitting on will rise to the surface in the presence of females. Also, there's a high chance he may become aggressive towards people based on some of the behavior you described. I wasn't going to say anything too soon, but you really should know to be on the lookout.
Like many of us, you may have to learn the hard way. It's not natural for humans to think male / female ratios can be such a bad thing. But nature meant for those boys and to get eaten while they boldly explore, so more of the pullets would survive. In the wild, one rooster will win the flock of hens, and he can't be nasty to them or they will leave in search of another flock.
I hope this helps you, and doesn't come off any tougher than what Sue said to us.
I appreciate all the help and advice. He doesn't seem overly mean to people unless he gets messed with (which who wouldn't be snappy at that). I do plan to have a fully caged coop and run. We have our own rooster who is currently growing up alongside his flock. As mentioned previously he is a Brahma, and a cutie patootie to boot 💓

I am hoping he won't be overly aggressive when they are bigger, but at the same time I don't know if I want to have him near them etc. Maybe a caged introduction is in order? He has met them in person already but never without me right beside them. He is wary of large human beans that walk towards him. He doesn't mind being near but he was raised to be on his own. So he tolerates? People? Idk how to word it.

Either way I am enjoying any and all advice about young pullets and big ornery roosters 🐓

Picture of the ornery Colonel.

Attachments

• 20230623_160201.jpg
    20230623_160201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom