Neighbor rooster hurt one of the babies (help!)

ElfenLied89

Crowing
May 30, 2023
South Carolina
One day last week I let one of the babies out to forage while I did some quick work outside. Gates were both locked and the little cutie stayed near me no matter where I went. Mind you I kept my eye out because of possible chicken hawks, etc.

Well I suppose my adorable little buff orpington (who is about 4-5 weeks old) was making cute chirps, and the rooster came barreling over bc he is nosey af. He isn't aggressive at all. I noticed he stopped a ways away, and decided since he wasn't showing any signs of aggression that I would watch them super closely.

He simply circled her and she was eating bugs. He was eating bugs. It was all kosher. Next thing I know he circled her, wing down towards her. Colonel ups and snatches her ass by her back, and she flutters away yelling like a banshee. No blood no anything. I did run him off and he shooed away a bit before staring me down like "What? I didn't do anything". I don't know if he was trying to attack her or what. Either way she is fine. No blood, no scratches, nada. Just a scared af pullet (are they still pullets at 5 weeks?) and one confused af chicken mom.

At what age should they be allowed near him? I didn't introduce them all yet to him because they are still small sized. He has seen them but never closer than 2 or 3 feet. He has never acted like that before either. I don't know if it is because I had one chick out only, or because I was a tad further away than usual? I am new to chickendom, and def new to grown behind roosters. He does allow pets at night and will not fight at you. He can be picked up with minimal fighting back. Just likes to flap his big behind wings.

Colonel belongs to our neighbor who says he is about 2 years old. He is a Rhode Island Red.
Feisty Girl is my sweet lap chicken who is completely spoiled. She is a Buff Orpington and should be around 5-6 weeks old this week.

Advice?

I agree that it sounds like he might like her a little to much, and could easily injure her.
How does he get on to your property? Could you improve the fence or something to keep him out?

(and yes, she is still a pullet, and will be until she is one year of age)

I agree that it sounds like he might like her a little to much, and could easily injure her.
How does he get on to your property? Could you improve the fence or something to keep him out?

(and yes, she is still a pullet, and will be until she is one year of age)
We are still getting the materials for our coop and they have a nice big brooder inside. So they don't go outside yet fully for obvious reasons. The neighbors let him free range. He has no roost or anything. He just exists. He does seem to love our porch banisters at night too. He gets in bc he is a clever rooster by jumping up and flying over. I can't improve our main fence, but we are doing a caged run as well. I would like for the chickens to have free roam over the front yard but idk how much that would cost to reinforce (we have a decent size front yard).

So he likes her long time. Good to know lol. I am just glad he wasn't being mean to her. If I remember, I will attach a photo from my phone. I had him wrapped in a towel last night bc he is just sitting on our porch in the rain, shivering. Lol. Dried him off and set him under the shed's roof inside an old dresser drawer.

Grab Colonel and tell him that cradle robbing is a roast chicken offense at your house. Does your neighbor not have ladies of suitable age for him?
No. He was an only chicken. Which is part of why we even got some chickens. So he could have his own flock. He tries to dominate the stray kitties around here but that doesn't go well lol.

When the ladies are old enough he will have a minimum of 8 options. Maybe 9 bc we have an unsexed Silkie as well. We also have a Brahma rooster and I hope they get along decently

Pictures of Colonel and Feisty Girl. Also her sister (purchased at the same time) Ember who is a RIR.

Attachments

• 20230621_232707.jpg
    20230621_232707.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230620_225855.jpg
    20230620_225855.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom