Neighbor saw a fox roaming in our yards during the day

carress

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Orange county NY
I've been very happy not to have had predator problems since I got my birds. My chicken friend down the road told me he'dhad fox problems previously. He and aother of my chicken friends down the road in a different direction both have claimed losses to hawks. Clydean has lost 20 birds to hawks in one season -they took bird she had.

The hawks found our birds 4-5 days ago, but haven't come down to swoop one up yet. this may be due to the fact that someone or the dog is out there with them or checking on them very frequently.

NOW - my neighbor calls and tells me he sees a fox. I have a pretty solid coop- aside from the door being a little loose- which I'll fix today. The coop is built like a shed and attached to my real shed. The floor is just dirt.

Last night, I blocked the door so it's impassable, and hubby uh - marked our territory. The dog hasn't because the electric fence keeps him from getting to the coop itself.

Usually, I let the birds out to roam the place- they go all over my yard and into my neighbor's. I told the neighbor I'd try to keep the birds in for a few days.

I live in an ALMOST rural area..its suburban, but there's plenty of space between mine and the other people's homes. (Most people have 1-3 acres) Most of the space is 'mowed' and not wooded.
QUESTIONS
Will keeping the birds locked up help? They're really mad with me right now.
Might my husband's pee keep them away?
How about a radio in the coop - on talk radio?
sprinkle dog hair around the coop (We have PLENTY!)

WHAT can I do??

Should I line the floor of the coop with wood? Pour in cement?
Get a rifle?

That fox is scouting your birds. Might be a youngster reaching adulthood and sent out, or might be a wily older one- have you seen the animal?

The only way to stop foxes is extreme biosecurity. You may need to add a secure run, roofed, to your setup to give birds exercise and to keep them laying. A fox will come back night after night and hungry ones will strike in broad daylight.

Quote:
That's something that I've never heard of or though of. I like it. I see no reason why, even with nearby neighbors, a radio could not be left turned down really low in the coop and/or run. I think I'd try to find an all night talk or news station.
The more I think about the idea, the more I like it.

Back
Top Bottom