Neighborhood association is anti-chicken; neighbors are pro-chicken

With the surrounding city allowing 15 chickens per home, chicken ownership becomes a standard household animal. Determining whether it is a pet or not might vary, but from my very non-scientifically gathered impressions, people who live in the city and have chickens tend to consider them pets, even when they obtained them for the eggs. Country people, on the other hand, tend to be as likely to consider them livestock.

That they do not enforce multiple restrictions on the board members, and have stated that they will not may well get the entire set of restrictions tossed.

Quote:
Not at any Wal-mart I've ever shopped in regularly.

I've seen it at one, and heard of it in others. However, Petco sells layer and scratch (for a small fortune).

This may well be a regional issue. I've shopped extensively at several Walmarts in four states, none of which carried chicken feed. The two Petcos (different states, several hundred miles apart) that I shop at the most (several times a year in each) do not, either. It's possible they would order it or that it is available online, though. I haven't checked their site.

I would be cautious about using this to appeal to a city board, HOA, etc. unless you could detail the specific wal-marts that carried it at specific times. You want to be able to substantiate statements strongly.

Quote:
I've seen it at one, and heard of it in others. However, Petco sells layer and scratch (for a small fortune).

This may well be a regional issue. I've shopped extensively at several Walmarts in four states, none of which carried chicken feed. The two Petcos (different states, several hundred miles apart) that I shop at the most (several times a year in each) do not, either. It's possible they would order it or that it is available online, though. I haven't checked their site.

I would be cautious about using this to appeal to a city board, HOA, etc. unless you could detail the specific wal-marts that carried it at specific times. You want to be able to substantiate statements strongly.

I would at least call your local big box and pet stores, it could be a good argument if validated. Both Walmart and Petco sell chicken supplies in my area.

Quote:
Might be better as its own separate thread but...

I don't know of any way to absolutely keep roosters quiet. They can be put in buildings that muffle the sound substantially, and they are less likely to crow when it is dark.

Similarly, if noise is a big issue for you with sleep, you might consider what soundproofing you'd like to add to your bedroom, which would help not only with the rooster but also with road noise, barking dogs, landscaping, songbirds, children and other noises that may come along, whether or not they are a problem for you now. The additional insulation would likely also lower your energy costs, and there are even tax credits available for that kind of energy retrofit work through the end of 2010.

Another way to address it would be to put that kind of insulation around your neighbor's chicken coop. It might be cheaper and if you offered to help with the effort and cost, your neighbor might be receptive. It would also be a comfort upgrade for the chickens (as long as they have sufficient ventilation). Chickens are generally inside at night, so this can be very effective.

For myself, we have chickens in a tractor right below our bedroom window. The rooster woke me up when we first put him there, but over time my mind has learned to tune him out and I no longer notice. I don't know if that will be the case for you in the long run.

Good luck to you in finding a solution that works for you and your neighbor.

Last edited:
Years ago and far away I lived in a house with a basement. I had a promotion party downstairs with a LOT of guests. The doorbell rang, as and I went upstairs to answer it, it became more and more quiet. By the time I was at the top of the stairs, you could not even hear the party. The folks at the door were wondering if they had the right house because it was so quiet. Wish I knew now how that house was insulated between the floors.

Insulation works against sound in the same ways and for the same reasons as it does against heat/cold infiltration. Double or triple pane windows can make a noisy busy street whisper quiet. That spray foam can work wonders, too.

Quote:
This was a house I purchased in 1978 that was already at least 50 years old. I don't think they even had double pane windows back then, much less triple pane. That said, I sure could use them now. Not sure what they did to insulate between floors; just know it was quiet. Basement stayed cool in summer.

I've turned my open air coop into an insulated and boarded-up chicken condo. Already, the sound from the rooster is GREATLY reduced. Next step is the spray foam stuff. I'm not such a fantastic architect that the structure is airtight; there is plenty of ventilation for my chicken friends. Already, the reduction in noise is amazing, so I think the foam up at roosting rooster level will make it him even quieter.

As far as noise he makes during the day, it is "noise appropriate to the species" as specified in our city ordinance, and it is not incessant. And only one neighbor mentioned it when asked for feedback.

I definitely won't rely on WalMart and Petco's checken feed sales to bolster my argument, at least until I establish that it's sold at most of the petcos and walmarts in my area. :-D

Back
Top Bottom