Neighborhood Cat

kaitlynerin1219

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

Our new neighbors have an indoor/outdoor cat that roams the neighborhood. He’s incredibly friendly and seems well fed but has taken a keen interest in our chickens. He was in the backyard by our gate on Sunday and I even caught him climbing the fence this afternoon (picture included). Our girls are secure in an enclosed run during the day and in the coop while sleeping but when the weather is nice in the evenings and on the weekends we let them free range in the yard. Most of what I have read says they should be fairly safe from him due to their size but I’m just wondering how alert I need to be with my girls.

background on my girls: I have 3 white leghorns about the same size as the cat if not a tiny bit smaller and 3 black sex linked ladies who are slightly bigger. One of whom has no problem standing up to our dog through the run when he gets closer than she would like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8BE2CBD2-5CEA-4EAA-8D30-DC465151B2F5.jpeg
    8BE2CBD2-5CEA-4EAA-8D30-DC465151B2F5.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 21
Cats are commonly allowed to roam. I don’t know of any state, township or city that legally allows it though. If the cat is in your yard, trap it, and bring it to the owners or the SPCA. Some of us would simply kill the cat. No, I’m not being mean. A predator is a predator.

I haven't seen a cat killing full grown hens, I have seen many of them around my hens, one of them was huge, white leghorn is my favourite breed

I used to have an outdoor cat who had no problem with the size of his kills. He'd routinely hunt (and consume) full grown rabbits almost the same size as him (and much larger than chickens!). He'd hang out with the chooks, but didn't seem too interested in eating them.

I also have had no problems with cats bothering my birds. I have an outside cat that also brings home full grown rabbits. I know she's capable, but she's never even tried to bother the chooks. I also have the random feral cat wander through. I find that after the curiosity has been sated (usually by watching and maybe sniffing/pawing) they never so much as glance at the chickens again. More along the lines of "Meh. Seen those. They bore me."

Have you got an ill tempered hen? I let my back porch cat, Socks, hang out with my chickens (and chow down on some scraps.) let the cat check out the hen, maybe try to steal a bite from her, and a firm peck (likely to the face) will teach the cat to stay two big steps away.

I haven’t had a cat go for a chicken, but i would be worried about chicks. I keep the chicks physically separated from hens, cats and anything else with a fence and some netting.

I have a neighbor who feed stray cats and they breed and multiply like crazy.They also piss on my hay for my goats.. big no no.. They are by now so feral that they cant be caught or even petted.. so they go.. the big ones come onto my property and try to go after my chickens... they get gone really fast. My cat is an old frail 16 year old man and has no interest in any of these chickens.

Back
Top Bottom