Neighborhood dog problem

Edited to remove suggestion for illegal means. BYC does not condone illegal activities.

Good luck and God Bless!!!​

Last edited by a moderator:
One quick note to add. Any animal is toast with either of these methods. Please use extreme care around any other pets or wild life that may have access to these options. You only want to stop the problems. not cause more.

Please don't use poison. Bigstack I commend you for the warning about having to be really careful, but it's just a horrible way to kill an animal. There is also the liability factor. If the owners/authorities find out who did it you will be liable for vet bills and possibly more and you will be charged with animal cruelty.

I'm not against killing problem dogs--I don't like it and blame the owners for letting thier dogs run, but will shoot an animal that is killing (or trying to) any of mine. I'm just very against poison for anything other then rodents.

Trap it with a live trap and take it to the pound or call animal control to come get it. Let them deal with the owner, it has a collar so someone owns the little tyrant.

I completely agree. It is horrible. I have had my own pets poisoned in the past. They never hurt, snarled, growled, or attacked anything. They just always walked around investigating ours and the neighbors property. Insted of them asking us to restrain them. They just put out the poison. There is nothing worse than setting up all night with a beloved pet. Trying everything you can think of to fix it. I deffinatley only suggested it as a last resort. As I stated We don't live in a just society. Right doesn't always win and wrong isn't always punished. I have had my own run in aswell with owners who just kept denying that their wiemeriner (or how ever you spell it) dog. Killed six of my pregnant Nanny goats. Even though he was covered in blood and I chased him through the woods to their house. by the time the sherrif arrived ( we live in the country no animal control) He was al bathed and clean. "Not my baby" He's been home all day! My word against the Doctors. of course he wasn't alone, but now they will all be together forever. Justice served. Not My first choice!!!! Last resort. Terrible!!! Horrible!!! I'm not proud of what was done. I'm just happy knowing my and all my neighbors pets are that much safer. I dug a hole by hand and burried 16 goats that morning.(6 Pregnant nanny's, 2 with twins) they had been horribly mutilated by those dogs. 3 I had to put down, No way they could have lived. Their posteriors were gone, I will never stop hearing those screams and cries of terror and pain! It hurt me so much to put them down, even though they were suffering, I hate to kill anything, unless for food. I have a very Big soft heart. But You have to Do what It takes to protect what and who loves you and depends on you.

Thanx for the response, it is only a last resort!

I used to catch any loose dogs on my property,but then my own dog was attacked and had 8 staples in his leg.It could have been me that was bit,so I don't go outside calling dogs to me with treats!

Now I have a fence enclosing my entire yard.I would recommend a fence,but a determined dog will get past one eventually especially a t-post/wire one.A secure run/coop is the first step.

Hope you can follow the dog(s) and then contact animal control with a complaint that they are loose and killing your hens.

I didn't see the dog yesterday, but I've been walking around the neighborhood to see if I can find it. My neighborhood doesn't have a community website. Until not too long ago, it was considered a 'bad' part of down. It's still up and coming though.

I had thought of poison but only because I was angry. I know it would never work, it's illegal, and there's the possibility some innocent animal would eat it. There's a lot of cats in my area, many of them that I've seen are collared. My son's cat likes to go outside, and if he got into it and died I would never forgive myself.

Animal Control hadn't had any other reports of loose dogs in the area, and afterwords I felt like I was overreacting. I know the dog has tags, I saw it wearing them. Next time I see it I'll try to be nice and coax it to me so I can stove it into the garage for Animal Control. Cobrien, I will try your advice on capturing the dog. I'll have to get a leash and treats since I don't have a dog. Bah I forgot to ask Animal Control about live traps!

I don't know when the fence will be done, since it's not mine and the owners are AWOL. If it comes down to it, the soonest I could build 'my' side of the fence would be after I get my tax return. I'd like to get it done regardless, since there's a view of the street and I want more privacy.

Back
Top Bottom